Wal basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fishsome, Dec 23, 2003.

1. fishsome

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    Does anyone here own a wal bass? or even played one? i was wondering how good they are. they seem very good. just wanted to know some info on them from you guys.
  2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If you do a search for Wal you'll find a ton of useful threads on them.
  3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I've had Wals for a fairly short time now but here are my impressions so far.

Great tone
    very good balance on a strap
    comfortable to play
    incredible build quality
    lots of useful control variability
    very, very low noise

Mine are fairly heavy
    Neck is a somewhat thick V shape
    Cost is quite high
    Balance while seated isn't as good
  4. Owned two 5 string Wals

Fantastic build quality and a tone to die for, especially my fretless.

My only criticism was the weight of them. I have a bad back and they were just too heavy when playing for long periods. But again the was so good!

5. I finally found my Wal fretless 5 and I'm never going back. I've been consigning/selling many of my other basses since this one arrived. It is perfect for me.

Bdgotoh and matthewfoote summed up the pros and cons nicely, although as a rule the 5 and 6-string models do not have a V-neck profile mentioned. Also bear in mind that the weight varies quite a bit between instruments, and typically the lighter-weight mahogany is reserved for fretless models. Mine is nine-and-a-half pounds... even with those heavy large schaller tuners.

Currently I'm in the queue for a new Wal fretted 5, but I am so comfortable with my Wal Mach II fretless it will be merely a luxury instead of a necessity.
  6. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I like my wal mach II a lot. The weight is what I would call medium (around 9.5-10 pounds). The tone is killer, but there are those who don't care for it as it is not very Fendery sounding. The controls are very powerful, but not traditional (they are filters similar to wah pedals instead of a traditional EQ section).

I will always have a wal of some type (I am craving a shedua/rosewood one now)

here is a shot of mine (maple on mahogany with ebony fretboard)
  7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've owned, uh, 6 Wals, and have had at least one in my possession for most of the last 10 years--I'd be happy to answer questions, but as Tobias4 said, they've probably mostly been covered before. Wals are indeed very good basses, though the electronics and sound are a bit unique and not necessarily what everyone is looking for.

While the older ones in particular tend to be on the heavy side, the weight and balance definately vary from bass to bass and body style to body style. My MkIII 4-string (flamed redwood facings, rosewood board) is quite light and very well balanced, for instance.

8. I love how they sound!!!!
    sad thing is I never got to play one :bawl: :bawl:
  9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I want a Wal, does that count?