Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wal basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The critical question: what is the nut width and bridge spacing for Wal 5-string basses? I've searched here and @various relevant sites and could not find the info.

Background: after hearing so much positive feedback about Wal basses (and also their recorded tones, esp. Justin Chancellor's) I've become intrigued. I'm not yet in the market for another boutique bass (let alone an imported one), and hopefully someday soon I'll get a chance to audition one for myself. But I'm picky about string spacing so before I get too carried away with Wal GAS I'd like to know whether the Wal 5 specs meet my criteria (I prefer 1-7/8" and 3/4", respectively). Other comments welcome... TIA.

2. Off topic: What is this GAS everyone is talking about? I've sort of completely missed this expression.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome

4. dudemeister am I glad you asked that!! All becomes clear! I missed a few weeks, and suddenly I don't know what's going on! :)

Sorry can't help on the WAL question

5. Don't forget Paul McCartney and Jeff Ament!

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    And Percy Jones!

I just got Brand X - Product. Wow - there's my favorite fretless tone like Mick, but different! I like. :)

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    if i had a nickel every time i wanted a wal, i would be able to buy one (or two)!:D ;)

:rolleyes:

8. and don't forget

JUSTIN CHANCELLOR!

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

he was already mentioned by the thread starter

10. Flea has also used a Wal. I'm pretty sure that he used it on "All Around the World," although that might be an Alembic. The fills are very Stanley-sounding...

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    He used one on some of the songs on "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" also. I just watched the video on the recording of the album again the other day, and you clearly see that it is a Wal that he is playing.

12. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Flea used a Flea Bass for "Around the World".

13. Here are some unofficial Mach II specs off BunnyBass:

http://www.bunnybass.com/bass/zWal5.shtml

I know the current owner of this bass from another message board and he says it kills. As far as string spacing goes, I've never measured my Wal 5 but the spacing is definitely narrower than 3/4".

14. I just measured my '94 fretless 5, and approximate dimensions are

nut: 1-7/8"
    24th fret: 2-3/4"
    spacing at bridge: ~11/16"

The is with a tape measure that has no metric markings, so these dimensions are not exact--the string spacing at the bridge is actually a touch narrower than 2-3/4" overall.

I usually prefer 3/4" string spacing on a 5, too, but the Wal really doesn't feel all that narrow.

Mike

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Zoomboy, thanks for the info, and if the Wal in your avatar belongs to you I'm completely bug-eyed with envy. :eek:

Thanks to you too, MikeZ. Interesting that the bunnybass Wal is allegedly 1-3/4" at nut, and yours is 1-7/8".

I wish I wasn't so picky about string spacing. Then again, I suppose anything that limits my GAS is a good thing. :rolleyes:

16. I don't recall the BunnyBass folks saying they used calipers, but I could well be mistaken. I don't think I'm 1/8" of an inch off, though! The measurements on my bass seem consistent with the other Wal 5's I've played, so I'm reasonably certain both basses have the same neck dimensions--it would be easy enough to ask the current owner, though.

Regardless of the measurement methods, there's no question that the string spacing at the bridge is narrower than his stated preference of 3/4".

Mike

17. alaskabass

alaskabass

Dec 31, 2001
    I don't recall mentioning that bunnybass used calipers either!

Calibrated measurement tools can help eliminate error. No?

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    just a caliper measurement reminder---when using calipers, remember that when actually measuring the distance from string to string, you are measuring the distance from the center of mass of one string to the center of mass to the next string, not actually _between_ the strings. That will always give you the correct measurement. Otherwise, string spacing would change every time you change string guages, a few thousandths of an inch or so, but precision is precision ;)

19. alaskabass

alaskabass

Dec 31, 2001
    Yes, it is! Reminds me of trying to communicate the difference between accuracy and precision.:D