1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wal Knob Marker Studs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gbarcus, Oct 7, 2013.

1. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
    I'm almost done building a 5 string bass and would like to put those little half dome silver knob markers on the body. Kind of like the ones on some of the Wal basses.

Anyone know where I could get these?
    I've looked seemingly everywhere, but either they are too small or too big. It needs to be right in the 3mm size, but must have a pin to go into the wood kind of like a thumbtack.
    I thought about an earring, but can't seem to find that shape.

google search photo of what I'm looking for.
    Beech.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If brass were OK, you could you a type of small nail called an escutcheon pin. They have nearly hemispherical heads.

3. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    You could take 3mm silver rod and round the end of it. Then drill 3mm hole and gently tap ot push the roundheaded rod carefully deep enough in the hole.

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Those are probably just small round head rivets. Instead of being peened over on the other side, they are just tapped into a drilled hole.

Check with leather-working suppliers. I think they carry small decorative rivets like that.

Also look for Tubular Rivets at places like McMasters.

There is also a style of press-in pins that are made to be used in plastics. They have a round blank head, and coarse fast-spiral threads on the shank. That also may be what they are using.

Like MPU is suggesting, you could also make your own. It's really just a little nail with a polished head. Use some small stainless or aluminum rod.

5. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
  6. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
  7. I am intending to use a similar approach on my 5 string build, as the side fret marker I have used copper wire inserted and glued, this is about 1mm diameter. For the Pot markers I have some 3mm brass rod which will be cut down head polished and varnished along with the finish coats of poly to retain the shine. The brass rod came from Canadian Tire.

8. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    After a quick sanding (600-4000) and polish, got this result.

I'll post a pic of the finished result once I get that in.

IMG_9619.

9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Looks sharp!

10. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Thanks!
    Got them installed with just a touch of ca glue to hold them in.
    Thanks again for you guys pointing me to these, I'm really happy with the way these turned out.

IMG_9629.

IMG_9643.

11. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    killer. the G string half of the body definitely has some Wal MkII going on.

12. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    :) The pickups are the multicoil series by SGD. They are good and hot with a really nice growl. They are wired vol/vol with independent tone push/pull series/single pots which gives a nice variety to the mix.

13. nopalfunk

nopalfunk Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City

when did you received your pickups? how long took to David build them? I'm waiting my pair of these beauties....do you considered they get close to a wal's pickups?, and finally which preamp did you install?

14. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    It took him a couple of extra months than planned, but worth the wait. I know he is running behind schedule and trying to get caught up.
    I've never actually played a Wal bass, so I really can't compare them.
    I know compared to a Bartolini M56 which sounds pretty flat in passive mode, these have more bass and mids and are a lot hotter. In passive mode, these pups has the same volume as a pair of Bart M56 with a 18v Aguilar preamp.

I'm running these in passive mode with no preamp, only 2 coil independent tone pots that are push/pull so they can run in series or single coil or a combination thereof.
    In series, they are really full sounding and in single, they have a slightly cleaner sound with a little less volume. The hard part about describing how something sounds is interpretation, so this is just my observation.

15. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Man that is an altogether gorgeous bass. I've been wanting to try out some curly redwood for a long time, but I'm a little freaked out by the alleged softness.

16. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Thanks! It is pretty soft, not as bad as that stinken pain in the woohoo burl stuff though. :) Surprisingly, this piece was pretty easy to work with.
    I've found soaking in a 1lb cut of shellac works to stabilize it pretty good once i got the body glued together.