Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wal Mach 1 4 string Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MadPink, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Does anyone have any comments about this bass? any likes/dislikes about it? Any information would be good. Im thinking about buying one sometime in the future.

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    They are expensive, but they sound absolutely amazing.

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Go for it, you wont regret it!

4. I've had a couple of Wals, including a Mach I 4. I thought the 24-fret models (Mach II/III) played a little better and were better balanced, but the Mach I has a certain "classic Wal" look about it that's really cool.

If you're not familiar with Wals, they do definately have a distinctive sound to them, and the unique EQ takes a bit of getting used to. The blocky neck heel on the Mach I/II is no worse than Fender, but is a bit clunky by the standards of some other modern basses. Not everyone cares for the slightly V-shaped neck of the older Wals, though I like it.

No question, though, that the sound cuts through like nothing else!

Mike

5. I've heard they have some weight to them and I like that. The v-shape head is alright..but I really like the big square look, and I love the whole look of them. How much would it cost me for one? Probably a pretty penny since I live in Canada.

6. Some are heavier than others--the new Mach III I have is really light, the others have been moderate, but the old Wal 5 I had weighed a ton!

When I talked about "V-shaped neck", I meant the back of the neck, not the headstock. Some old Fenders also have this.

How much would it cost you in Canada? Depends on whether you found one new or used. New ones tend to run in the $3000 US range and up, while used ones are generally between $1400-2200 US, depending on woods, options, condition, etc. Sometimes you get lucky and run across one cheaper, though.

Mike

7. 3000$ us!? damn, that would be a lot in canadian. probably around 4500$ Ill probably hold off on buying one for the time being. But If I see a used one ill probably snatch it up. All I have right now is a Ibanez GSR205. Its alright but I want something to suit my needs more. Its only my first bass so it isn't that bad of a one for that reason.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, you can't get Justin Chancellor's bass cheap, that's for sure.;)

9. Or Jeff Ament's. Or Paul McCartney's. Or Geddy Lee's.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

$3000 is quite a step up from a GSR190, no?:D

11. Just for information, there is a superb Wal club at Yahoo - this includes Steve Chesney (the guy who runs www.walbasses.com) who I think now has 11 Wal basses in his collection - I own one of the Custom Twin necks and they are superb basses!

Check out http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/walbassesnaturally

The guys there are real Wal experts!

Cheers!

Nick

12. Paul McCartney's wal is pretty nice..If only I lived in england....id be so much happier.

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Wal basses aren't exactly cheap over here I'm afraid. All you can really get for less than £1000 is a used Wal Pro, which was a "budget" model. They start at around £700.

The Bass Gallery in Camden, London has a couple listed on their site, though it hasn't been updated for months.

Wal 4. Birds eye maple top, 21 frets, ebony fingerboard: £999
    Wal 4. Unlined fretless, shedua top: £950
    Wal 4, pro 1. Lined fretless, ebony fingerboard: £750

http://www.thebassgallery.com/walpro1.html

14. id pay 1000 for one anytime....but when its 3400$ its a little bit harder to swallow.