Wal Mach I on EBAY! what ya think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QTraXQ, Nov 30, 2003.

1. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I was just wondering what everyones take on this Wal Mach I on EBay? Check it Out.. ..I will be planning on buffing and repolishing/finishing this bass myself.. Thanks for any feedback guys...
  2. Looks like a good score! I wouldn't worry about the buckle rash though, I think that it adds some character.

3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Congrats on the buy.
  4. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Cool. Thanks guys. anyone else have any thoughts?
  5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    It sure is purty. I hope it works out for you.
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Looks great man. Can you get any sound clips up>:confused:
  7. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I should have this in about a week, it looks very similar to yours except the body shape. I've always liked that top wood. Congrats on picking up a Wal!
  8. Very nice score you have there.

I love Wals and have had two in the past, only got rid of them as they were too heavy for me. The craftmanship of Pete Stevens and the tone are second to none.

I also really love the Schedua facings that Pete uses, he seems to oget some of the wildest examples for his basses and yours is one of them.

Jealous from Somerset
  9. Nice score!!! Congratulations to both.
  10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    That bass has the same birthday as me..

and o great looking bass

11. Nice one! As far as refining it I'd leave it alone. Just some player wear on the back. You should see the back of my Mach I! I consider the wear as a badge of honor/mojo.

12. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Firstly, Ive been GASing for a Wal for a while now, and I'm jealous, but man... congrats. :)

Also, I'd leave the wear on there... gives it character.
  13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have one word for you:

14. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    i really dig those 2, great finds.

what does a Wal sound like when slapped? what type of sound does it have? can any Wal owners post soundclips?

15. The standard answer to this question usually is listen to the RHCP BSSM disc. Flea recorded most of the album using a maple-faced/hard poly finished Wal Mach II 4 string......Of course you can also listen to the last Tool album or the Rush albums from Power Windows to Roll the Bones

16. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Im hoping others will post more pics of their Wals. Im also planning to purchase a Mach II sometime in the future.. I had the oppurtunity to purchase a Mach II for $3000.00, but I believe thats a little too much for a used Wal Bass. If I was going to pay that much for a used bass, then I might as well purchase a new wal for like $3600..

Maybe ill be able to get some clips up after the bass comes in. :bassist:
  17. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
  18. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I was actually surprised that i found Two Wal's For sale on E-Bay within 1 week. I lost the first bidding, but obviously won the second Wal...

Wal #1 on E-Bay
    Wal #2 on E-Bay (which i won)
    I sware it felt like it was fate, because as soon as the bidding was done for the first Wal (and I was feeling very bummed) I refreshed my wal search and then BAM(!!).. Search Loaded and I saw the Wal that I eventually Won.:D
  19. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Wals are great. I love mine (Mach II red "Geddy Lee" model). Great tone. I will always have one in my arsenal. Mine has dings and I plan to keep them. They give it mojo (even though I am not a real fan of the red color).