Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WAL Mach II: how much is too much

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xparis001, Sep 28, 2003.

1. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    hey guys, I have a deal on the table to buy a Wal Mach II 4 string. the price is $1800. think thats too steep? here are pics. http://walbasses.homestead.com/October2002.html

I want it, but if thats too expensive, i can wait.

thanks,

dan

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    well... a new one costs fron about $3000 to $?000. maybe you can get it a bit lower, but thats around what it costs...

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

1800 is very cheap for a Wal.
    Only you can know if it's worth it. :)

4. If you ordered this bass brand new from Pete Stevens you would wait a minimum of nine months and pay roughly twice what is being asked. If I wasn't purchasing a second 5-string Wal (fretted, on order) I know that I would probably be chasing after the bass in question.

5. hearing about the pricing for a Wal hurts my heart, it is my biggest dream bass, and has been for almost the whole year...

btw, can someone post slap clips of it PLEASE!

6. xparis001

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    yea, its called RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic. the whole album was a Wal I believe. Except the 5 string songs. Those were MM5.

7. Technically it was 37 years before I found the perfect bass for me (which just so happened to be a Wal) so don't feel too bad. Your day will come. :D

8. I'd say that the price is very fair considering Wals are hard to find and this particular bass is less than two years old. It's practically new. If you have the cash I say go for it. If you find that the bass isn't to your liking you can just sell it for what you paid. Wals don't stay for sale for long unless they have "issues".

9. xparis001

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    I took the plunge and bouht it today! Eagerly waiting for a tracking number. I'll post pics as soon as I get it. thanks for the help, guys

10. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Good deal and cool bass. Not as cheap as I got my 4 string Mach II for, but mine has some cosmetic issues (nothing major). I would've gone for yours at that price if mine hadn't come to me :)

It seems like the used market for Wals is in the $1200-$2000+ range depending on condition.

11. xparis001

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    i saw a clearer picute of the birdseye maple stained like walnut and fell in looooooove. thats why i bought it. prettiest wal ive ever seen. apart from the natural 70s one bunnybass has. Im a gary ibbs fan too. not $4200 gary tibbs fan, but a fan nonetheless.