Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wal*Mart just makes me sick.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Wal*Mart attacks culture.

Wal*Mart is building a store one mile away from the Teotihuacan ruins in Mexico. The store will be visable from the top of the Pyramid of the Sun, which is a major archaelogical and tourist destination. They've even discovered artifacts at the construction site!

Can these guys get any more crass? There's already another Wal*Mart only 10 minutes drive away! And then:

They're going to put an ancient altar under plexiglass in the PARKING LOT!!!!!????? GAH!!!!!!!

Where's Rage Against the Machine when you need them? I feel a "People of the Sun" coming on.

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i Agree. some of the crap that people and companies do makes me embarrassed to be a human.

we should retaliate by building a plexiglass parking lot over Sam Waltons grave. why not get Ole Roy in on the action too.

3. Walmart took over the ASDA brand here in the UK, and they never keep the good products, just because they dont sell as much as the toehr products. For example, they had robinson's organic orange squash, which was really nice, but they stopped stocking it after a while, just because it didnt sell as much as the other products. I hate them with a passion.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Why is it so hip to hate Wal Mart? If the majority of people didn't like Wal Mart, they wouldn't be thriving the way that they are. So you will be able to see the new Wal Mart from some ancient pyramid - BFD! We can't build within sight of the stupid thing? It's not like they're tearing down a pyramid to build a Wal Mart. As far as the alter or whatever they found on the building site - so what. We can't declare every where off limits becasue an ancvient peice of trash was found. Our population is growing, and progress is necesary. Wal Marts pop up everywhere because they make money, provide jobs and people like to shop there. I know these opinions are very much not in line with the neo hippy wal mart hating crowd, but it's a simple fact that Wal Marts are everywhere becasue that's what people want. If people really hated Wal Mart, they'd be going out of business instead of thriving. Get over it.

5. :( I want to go there someday...that will be so horrible to see from there :crying:

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You're right. Let's build a Wal*Mart on the WTC site, too. :scowl:

7. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
  8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    We only populate 3% of the land masses available to us. I think there's room to not build in certain places.

9. Do you have no respect for anything? :eek: :scowl: :mad: :spit:

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cheese.

Cheese and Sprite.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Yes, I do. I guess I just don't see big lack of respect being shown by building a new Wal Mart at this location. It's not like they're tearing down the pyramid to build it...

12. Better Wal-Mart than K-mart.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    True DAT!

brad cook

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Shop Smart.

Shop S-mart.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This is my BOOMSTICK!

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm also sick of the whole "Let's hate Wal-Mart" bandwagon that everyone seems to be jumping on in this free, capitalistic country. However, I think their choice of building sites in Mexico seems to be inappropriate based on the information given.

A couple of points though:

A ten minute drive can be significant if you don't have a car. Maybe most of the people in this village don't have cars or access to cars and that would be an all-day excursion just to go to Wal-Mart.

Many people that might be driven out of business in these little tiny Mexican towns can probably make more money working for the man at Wal-Mart. That doesn't make it great but just a thought.

If all the facts are presented accurately though it does seem a shame that they're building it there. However, it's probably no more gaudy than some of the touristy crap that you might see in, say, Colorado Springs. I also think that it's no more horrifying then when I walked into The Forbidden City in Beijing, China for the second time (five years after the first) and found that there is now a Starbucks IN the palace. So, to all you people that hate Wal-Mart for this you should also be hating Starbucks just to be fair. I don't hate Wal-Mart but I've always disliked Starbucks anyway. :p

brad cook

17. i can almost guarantee you that they do.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Wal*mart just makes me [sic]

:p

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You took the words right out of my mouth...er keyboard..whatever.

brad cook

20. It's hard for me to hate walmart when they have $1.65 for a gallon of gas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.