1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Wal MK-II 5 string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by incubus2432, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Up for sale is my '91 Wal Mk-II 5-er. All of the original electronics are intact and function properly. The action is low and buzz free. It plays easy and sounds as a Wal should. American walnut facings with a mahogany core. Strung with D'Addario Chromes.

It is in excellent overall condition but is a 17 year old instrument and has some very minor dings and light scratches. When I received it the finish left something to be desired.....worn away in many places and obviously light and near missing in others. Apparently the factory finish was applied sparingly on the body. I'm extremely picky and the worn look drove me bonkers so I took off the remaining finish with some steel wool and light sanding and applied a tung oil finish (to the body only....the neck is original finish). This may be blasphemy for some but the original finish, or what was left of it, wasn't worth saving and I felt that protecting the wood was more important than leaving the original "mojo". You can see much of the wear and tear on the rear in the electronics pic below.....that was taken right after I got it before the tung oil conversion. That's a pretty good example of the original finish condition and why I removed it. The other pics show it as it is today.

I'm asking for $6000 plus actual shipping. Original flight style case included. Paypal is preferred. I prefer a straight sale but feel free to fire off any trade/partial trade offers. Also let me know if you have any specific questions or photo requests.

BTW....if anyone cares for the reason I'm selling. The Wal is the best playing and sounding bass that I have owned but i bought it with the intent of it being my primary gigging bass and I'm band-less at the moment and don't see that changing anytime soon so I don't really need it for my home noodling needs.

IMG_0862.
    IMG_0861.
    IMG_0860.
    IMG_0851.
    IMG_0848-1.
    DSC02570.
    IMG_0878.

2. wish you were in NJ I would snag it..good luck with your sale

3. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Shipping isn't that expensive! :p

4. I dont trust shipping for anything..way too many personal horror stories.

5. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    never heard a horror story that included a flight case... just a thought. Beautiful bass.

6. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    I shipped a Fender to India from Seattle in the standard hard tweed case w/lots of foam packing and it make it with no problems. What shipping horror stories?

I have also bought and sold basses into Canada, and Alaska, again with no shipping issues whatsoever. some had NO case, just a bass and packing in a box.

7. Simply put..things didnt arrive or arrived several months later

8. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Gorgeous! Nice work on the refinish. Wish I had a few more bucks in the ol' ING account. I keep saving and Wal 5's keep getting more expensive. :)

9. $6000 and you won't even throw in shipping :eek:?

You can almost get a used Ritter for that much :p

10. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Well, you could always buy another one of the many 5 string Wals for sale or get a used Ritter then. :p

Paypal is a decent hit and I never said I wouldn't negotiate for someone serious. I guess i should have said $6100 with shipping included....would that be better?

I'm actually taking a slight loss compared to what I paid for it last year but I took the finish issue into consideration and the fact that I'm willing to take a little hit to make a "fair" deal (as far as Wals go anyway) and hopefully have a relatively quick transaction.

Any other "issues" I can address for ya'? :eyebrow: :smug: :D

11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    If the buyer pays with a Paypal echeck, Paypal will only take $5 as opposed to the 3% or whatever. You'd have to wait a few days for it to clear, but surely that's worth $180.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    incubus2432, take it to his door step :)

13. jakeox

jakeox

Feb 15, 2007
    Chicago
    If someone's paying 6 grand for a bass, are they going to be fussed over shipping costs? Or wasting time criticizing other people's asking prices?

14. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    A classic beauty!

Pete loved using Walnut and Schedua for facings.

Whoever gets this will be very happy. They'll never be lost in the band again.

15. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    :eek:
    I just got a four string fretless, but I'm straight a up 5 string player...I just couldn't pass up getting a Wal bass even if it had one string less than I wanted. I really wish I had the scratch for this bass. That tung oil finish looks awesome..I actually prefer that to laquer. Good luck with the sale;)

16. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    I've never heard that before. Can you post a link to anything that verifies this?

17. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    The tool of the gods themselves!

18. " If the buyer pays with a Paypal echeck, Paypal will only take $5 as opposed to the 3% or whatever. You'd have to wait a few days for it to clear, but surely that's worth $180 .."
    In one of my tranactions with the UK, a echeck was used and everything stated is true...only took a couple extra days to clear and the fee was $5...saved me $123 :D

19. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Tss, tss. Please read the rules : questioning price is prohibited in the classifieds.

20. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    PMed you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.