Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wal-nuts or failure fans...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Oct 28, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    does anyone have any clue of the specs on greg edwards' wal bass from failure.

i know it was a mach 1, had frets that he had removed and then had them put back on many years later. and i think midway through their lolapalooza tour in 97 he put a hipshot on the e-string. but id like to know what the facings where. bviously mahogony core, btu he spray painted silver (or covered it in tin foil) before "fantastic planet" the last album failure did. any info would be hot, thanks.

2. Pete Stevens the maker of Wal's might be able to help you as he keeps a record of every bass he makes and who he sold it to.

So if Edwards brought it from new direct from Wal [a long shot] he could tell you.

Regards

Matthew

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    alright, ill send an e-mail his way. thanks.

4. i just remember it being silver and sounding incredible. i saw them on tour that summer, and then on lollapalooza. i miss that band and i didn't get a chance to see year of the rabbit, either.

robb.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    wish I'd gotten a chance to see them.

Just got their DVD though, with tour documentary. Doesn't exactly make me want to head out on a national tour anytime soon, but there's some great footage of them doing their thing.

6. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    He doesn't check his mail. He also rarely answers the phone since he's so busy building Wals. There's a Wal database on the internet that may give you some idea, or else I suggest you send Pete a fax.

Cheers,

knight

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I've only seen pictures of it painted silver.

I've heard a rumor that was the bass Justin used to record Aenima.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

its the exact bass he used for aenima. and yea failure was a great great thing. shame theyre gone now.

9. wasn't he also on the cover of BP with that bass?

xush -- is that DVD the one at cdbaby in the failure vault CDs?

robb.

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    chancellor was on teh cover with his fretless mach II bass. i think it has american walnut facings. i dont believe greg was ever on a bass player.

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yeah, it's called Golden- Unreleased sounds and images.

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

"sometimes you rock so hard, its in slow moition. sometimes you get stabbed in the face with a pair of breasts"

13. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    waaay late on this but i was doing a search and look what happens...
    i saw the bass up close once... at a very small show in Portland. Wasn't painted... had sort of silver "prism" tape o rstickers (for lack of a more accurate description) all over it...