Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wal Owners: Help Me Order A New Wal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saint, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Can any current Wal Owners (or previous owners) help me with ordering a Wal. My wife wants to buy me one for my 40th birthday (knowing full well that I wouldn't see it until around my 41st); however, I've had a difficult time getting hold of anyone at Wal.

I've faxed a letter to Pete Stevens and my machine says it finally got through, but I've not heard anything.

Is calling the best way to handle this? Is there an e-mail address? Is Wal just picky about who they take on as a customer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I would try to call bass centrral. They could order you a new wal the way you want it.

3. Unfortunately, Pete Stevens is busy, somewhat hard to get ahold of, and not always the best at replying. He also doesn't do email.

You are probably better off ordering through one of the few US dealers like Bass Central and letting them handle the communications. If you really want to order directly from Pete, though, your best bet is to call during regular shop hours (in the UK) and try to talk directly.

Good luck!
    Mike

4. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi
    It took me a little over two years to get my Wal and I am in the UK. Pete seldom answers the phone. The waiting time seems to be going up as I think he has more orders than he knows what to do with. The only way to get on the list from what I can gather is to pay a deposit but the wait will still be a long one.

5. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    HI, i am the lucky owner of two wals, but i bought both used, because is very difficult to contact pete, and the wait is going up to two or more years... you can ask steve chesney, one of the greater wal owners in the world (he has 10 or more) wich runs the walbasses.com website.He is waiting a 3 octave fretless from ages.
    You can visit the forum http://p096.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm51.showMessage?topicID=1015.topic where you can find all the Wal-nuts and Steve as well, to get it more clear.
    the numbers to contact pete are these, but you got to be really lucky.
    Phone-011-44-1494-442925
    Fax-011-44-1494-472468
    by the way these are my ladies
    A 4 stringer '83 mach1 with wenge facings and a 5 strnger '91 mach2 with american walnut facings...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. walwear

walwear

Feb 17, 2003
    Unless you have the stomach for the wait, you may do well to keep your eyes open for a used Wal. They aren't plentiful, but they generally appear at the rate of about one a month (eBay, BassGear, this forum, etc.) By all accounts, Pete's backlog is substantial and a 2-3 year wait is now the norm. If you want something very specific and are willing to endure the wait, you'll certainly be rewarded. If you can be flexible, however, you can find some nice pieces on the used market. When you consider the current poor performance of the USD against the GPB and the import duty involved in getting a new one over here, the acquisition costs of a new one are pretty significant. By comparison, the used market is a bargain. Used 4-strings are going in the low $2K range and used 5-strings are certainly less than $3K.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I lust for a Wal fretless.
    But just can't wait 2 years.
    Frigo, that wenge' bass is great.

8. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    AFAIK while Pete continues to make instruments he is not accepting any more orders at this time.

9. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    Sorry to delude you, but i paid 3000 Euros for the 4 strings and 2700 for the fiver... :rollno:

10. walwear

walwear

Feb 17, 2003
    Frigo, I'm only giving general observations of US prices...so it certainly isn't gospel. I've bought and sold several in the past year within the price range that I mentioned. I certainly recognize that the supply/demand picture may be different in other parts of the world. I just sold a MkIII/5 and I know of a lovely MkI that is going to be available in the coming days. There are also a few on eBay right now, so the used market is still active.

11. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    That's the problem... i have to force myself not to buy more... :eek: Wals are addictive...! ;)

12. You're not the only one with this problem. :)