Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wal Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by E.Z., Apr 1, 2005.

1. E.Z.

E.Z.

Apr 18, 2003
    What strings are you using on your Wals?
    What roundwounds do you like best on them?

2. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    DR Highbeams on both of my 5-string Wals...both fretless and fretted. After years of trying many different types, these seem to sound the best for my tastes, be flexible, last the longest and have a softer feel that I see doesn't chew-up my fingerboard or frets very much. Importantly, they seem to better allow the sounds of my Wals to come through instead of color them.

3. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    Same here, i use DR mm Fat beams for both my 4 and 5 stringers .45 .65 .85 .105 .125 stainless steel round core
    :D

4. walwear

walwear

Feb 17, 2003
    Depends on the finish and frets (or lack thereof):

Satin/Fretted - DR Highbeams
    Poly/Fretted - Elixer Nanoweb
    Fretless - Elixer Nanoweb

.045-.105 on the 4-string basses
    .045-.135 (tapered B) on the 5-string basses
    .035-.135 (tapered B) on the 6-string basses

I find the DRs to be a bit brash on the poly gloss Wals but love them on the satins...especially my MkI shedua/rosewood. The Elixers are great strings and last forever. They cost more up front, but they save a ton in the long run. They are a bit more subdued, so you may not like them if you like a real bright string. Elixers come in a Polyweb and Nanoweb coating. The Nanoweb is a bit thinner and, to my ear, lets the true sound of the string come through better.

Just my thoughts...

5. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    My "standard" string is DR Lorider nickel. On my fretted Mach3 with maple facings/hard gloss finish and ebony board, I switched to DR LoRider stainless to add a little zing and open up the slightly more compressed sound that particular instument has. I also use TI Powerbass on my fretted Wals and just started using Ritter Swordsteels on my fretless, which I really like.

6. E.Z.

E.Z.

Apr 18, 2003
  7. DR Low Rider Nickels .45-130 for low B. They do last quite awhile !

Steve V