Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wal pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hollowteeth, Jun 22, 2005.

1. hollowteeth

hollowteeth

Jun 22, 2005
    London, UK
    Does anybody know of a pickup with a similar sound as the Wal ones ?

2. The Wal pickups are certainly a part of the equation, but the preamp also figures pretty heavily into the sound of any Wal bass. That leaves you with two problems. The first problem is that you would probably need to buy a Wal bass to get the pickups and preamp as they are not sold separately. The second is that those two large preamp boards need a lot of space, so you would be doing some serious routing in order to fit them into anything else, or ordering something built specifically to accomodate them.

My understanding is that the Bongo HH does a pretty respectable approximation of the Wal sound.

3. 0557

Apr 12, 2004
    I've owned 3 Wals and the bongo HH comes very close, I have an HHp fretless and I can get that snarly tone with gobs of midrange if you need it.

4. What about an L-2000? Do you guys think that it sounds Wal-ish?

5. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    You can get the technical low down on Wal pickups here: http://walbasses.homestead.com/ElectronicsFeatures.html

I've got several Wals, a Bongo, and have owned 3 G&Ls. IMO the G&Ls are GREAT basses but the Bongo does a better job at approximating the Wal tone, probably due to the 4 band (2 bands for mids) Bongo preamp.

cousins! :cool:
    [​IMG]

6. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    But the Bongo just doesn't light up like your wal does hippie.......... :eek:

7. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Well, there is THAT :D

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I heard somewhere that you can't even order a Wal anymore because they are so backed up, or something to that effect. To go along with that, people are saying that if you want a Wal, you have to look used because you be able to find any new. I'm curious, if that's the case, why doesn't Wal simply contract out or sell the design rights to another company so that they can keep it going. It'd be a shame if I', never able to acquire the Wal that I desire, but if it's not an option, the Bongos were pretty smoking little basses. Anyway, justthinking out loud...there seems to be a lot of Wal interest but very little supply.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They proably dont want to sell the design because then the quality might not be up to par. THey want to maintain their outstanding name, even if that means less production.

10. Whoa - that's a pretty unique looking Wal. Don't see them with finishes like that very often.

....Got any bigger pics? :cool:

11. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    I was very fortunate to be able to custom order that Wal through BassCentral back in 2001 (it is on their Wal page but looks like a greenburst there). The finish was a special request, which was a teal (aquamarine) sunburst starting at near black around the edges and turning near emerald green in the center. The facings are "highly figured" maple and the board is ebony with full face & side aqua SIMs LEDS (I know, I know :p). Its a Mach III body style and weighs exactly 9 pounds. Killer Geddy-like Wal tone to the bone! :bassist:

>>> more pics here <<< Enjoy! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Schmippie....sup Low-L?? Pinch my nipple. I'm coming up there on October 7th for Pete's gig at The Little Fox..

:D

[​IMG]

13. hollowteeth

hollowteeth

Jun 22, 2005
    London, UK
    The reason i`m asking is that i want to install some humbuckers in my 5 string Fender Jazz. I want to use it as a back up to my Wal ? What do you think ??

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so YOU'RE the owner of that one! damn, man, i remember when i first saw it, as the bass of the month on the wal site, a few years ago.

that's one of the best ones i've seen. :crying:

15. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Cool! My birthday is Oct. 5 - you can buy me a beer. :D

16. Dammit, Low-L. You pushed me over the edge yet again... ordered a Bongo today.

If it's legal I will Fedex you a beer (or several) to celebrate. Canadian beer okay with you?

17. Your Wal is simply beautiful.