Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wal sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, May 15, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How does a Wal Mk 1 sound? They look great.:D
    How does its sound compare to a common Fender J or P?

2. Wals have extremely powerful and flexible active electronics. You'd really have to try one yourself to see all the sounds they're capable of.

For a few examples, however, try any Rush alubm from 1985's _Power Windows_ to 1991's _Roll The Bones_, or Red hot Chili Peppers' _Blood Sugar Sex Magik_. Some of BSSM is a Stingray 5, but the Wal is most apparant on "Suck My Kiss".

For some Wal fretless stuff, listen to someone like Mick Karn, or Laurence Cottle.

--jeff

3. I once had a Wal, and to tell the truth I preferred a Fender Jazz.

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    To hear a Wal played with a pick you could check out the last 2 Tool albums...

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

I might be miss informed but I thought alot of the recording by RHCP was on a Spector.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, flea recorded with a spector, too...but the majority of bssm was done on a wal

7. What I've read is that he used mostly a Wal on BSSM, with a Stingray on a couple of tracks, not a Spector. Nothing on the album sounds like a Spector at all.

*fires up BSSM*

Lets see...

My guess is the following tracks use a Wal:1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16.

I'm sure 2 is a Stingray, and I think 11 and 17 are too.

2 is obviously a Stingray. 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 are all obviously the Wal.

As for the rest I'm just guessing - 11 and 17 seem to have less "low end" and "punch" than the supposed Wal tracks I'm not sure of, so I'm going to say they're the Stingray, and the rest is, duh, the Wal.

--jeff

8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I heard that he didn't even use the 'rays in the studio on that album. All wal, spector, alembic epic. I know a lot sound a bit 'ray'd, but there is an edge that Stingrays don't have.

I think that Tool gives a good indication of the Wal tone. There are enough sound options to choke a horse.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Percy Jones and John Giblin recorded a song together with Brand X called Wal to Wal.for the track they both used a Wal Bass.the name of the album excapes me.plus Jones used a Wal for a while before he started using his custom Ibanez.

10. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The album is called Product. Good disc if you like fusion. Percy Jones has my favorite fretless tone.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I could never be sure what was sweeter, that Ibanez or Percy. Probably Percy;).

Why did Ibanez never make that bass availble?

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Don't forget Mick Karn (later Japan and all of his solo career. I heard he used a Klein on some of The Tooth Mother but I don't know which tracks).

I've never seen Percy's custom Ibanez - anyone have a picture of it?

13. On the Tooth Mother, my understanding is that Karn double-tracked all his parts with both the Wal and the Klein. Don't know if they're split left/right channel or anything like that, though.

Percy Jones started playing Ibaezes with the short-lived AFR series--the shape was later taken for the luthite-bodied EDA, but orignially the AFRs were high-end instruments with half-through necks, and the first Ibanez mono-rail bridges with piezo pickups with a single magnetic pickup. Later, he went to a custom version of the Soundgear 5 that was sort of a combination of the AFR and the high-end Soundgears--wenge/bubinga bolt-on neck, bubinga body, and mono-rail piezo bridge combined with a Bart soapbar. The piezo pickups are a pretty essential part of his current sound, I understand.

Mike

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The custom Ibanez that Percy Jones plays was from Ibanez's limited custom production line,at a time when they was venturing into the area of Alembic,Fodera,etc.prior to the model that Percy plays a few years earlier Ibanez put out a limited custom series which Stanley Clarke had a few.the basses turned out to be some very fine instruments,I had the chance to play several but Ibanez decided to can it all together.

15. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    As for BSSM, it was all recorded with a Wal 4 string, except the songs that required a low B, in which case Flea used a Stingray 5 string...

Flea very rarely uses a 'Ray in the studio for his normal parts - he used an Alembic Epic for all of 'One Hot Minute' except for 'Aeroplane' where he used his Stingray 4....

Don't know what he used on 'Californication' or on their new album that's due out shortly, but I would guess it would have been either his Modulus sig. bass or a Bernie Goodfellow Jazz.

16. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    "Polytown" features some nice sounding fretless WAL by Mick Karn.