Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WAL SOUNDING BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DenisW, Dec 28, 2002.

1. DenisW

DenisW

May 5, 2002
    Cork,Ireland
    I love the sound of WAL basses.That low midrange growl.As I have a $1000 to spend on a bass and a WAL costs about $3000.What is the nearest sounding bass around my price range?

2. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    A used Wal for around $1,250

3. 2nd that, if you want a Wal sound go for a Wal nothing else will do it. I have had 2 in the past both fretted and frettless and both sounded amazing.

Only drawback is that they are very heavy. I sold my two 5 strings purely because of the weight factor.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Wal basses use a parametric EQ system with a fixed Q and boost, nothing is going to come close.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I assumed you are from the US as you used $ but it would be worth a trip to England as they are cheaper here.

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    How much cheaper are they over there. I'm planning a trip to Europe soon, and if I could pick up a Wal for a decent price, I'd do it.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think a g&l l2000 is about as close as you can get

8. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I just sold a wenge Wal for 1200.00.. Now I am hunting for another. I found a couple of Pro Bass 1's in England and am working on getting one so I can have Pete (the luthier) make one into a Pro 2..

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I too have heard some players getting great sounds out of Wals - but I have tried several in the UK and the EQ system that Chris mentions has really put me off - it is very counter-intuitive and I coudn't get even a "usable" sound - let alone a great one! :(

They are also very bulky and heavy - the 5 -strings especially.

Aas I say - some people have got great sounds out of them, but "in the flesh" I have found them to be very disppointing!!

I would very strongly urge anybody considering these, to try before they buy!!

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I've tried a few, and I've liked every single one.

11. Something else to bear in mind about Wals is the outputs fitted to the basses. Each one has a normal jack socket but they also have a balanced DI output on them. The is great for recording you can go straight into a desk and mix your own sound rather than rely on a sound engineer 15 feet away messing it up for you.

As I said before fantastic basses [sound, looks and build quality] but heavy. Try before you buy as advised but I do not think you would be disappointed.

12. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Any of you groovy chaps in UK know where I can get a used Mach 1 Wal at a decent price? I have dinero just need to buy another one.

Cheers.

Jaymi

13. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    last night I saw someone on the harmony-Central Classified Ads selling a Wal for $750

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

could someone post a pic of a wal i havent see many. The guy from the cranberrys has one.

15. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
  16. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    www.walbasses.com

17. Major Metal

If you look at the link in the last reply it will take you to the Wal web site. If you look at 'Past basses of the month' and then look at November / December 2000 you will see my old bass.:D :D

The site has lots of great Wal pics.
    Enjoy

Matthew

18. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The pic doesn't do it justice at all, but anyway here's mine:

19. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I just wanted to add that my Wal is not that heavy like everybody says they are, it weighs between 9 and 10 lbs on the digital bathroom scale (sometimes 9, sometimes 10, I intend to weigh it on our FedEX scale here at work someday).

20. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    The wenge I just sold was 11lbs. the Pro Bass is like, 8...I have another one coming that is solid mahogany and white in color...weighs a bit I am told....