1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wal substitute???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumzini, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I did a search and the thread that asked a similar question was really never answered. I have ehard of the Bongo coming close. I was curious to know if a double humbucker Ray or will G&L come close???

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I would say a G&L L-2000/2500 or any Smith (minus the J series).

The Bongo has the neck pickup too close to the neck.

I have heard recording with Wals, and I own a Smith. The Wal sounds more aggresive and wide to me.

Those Wal pickups, with their widely spaced pole-pieces rows are pretty unique.

I wonder if a DarkStar pickup would sound similar?

3. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I've had both here under the same roof, and the Bongo is about as close to that mid-heavy kick-in-the-teeth Wal tone as you can get without resurrecting someone from the dead.

IMHO, of course.

Jack

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm a big fan of the Bongo...but...I don't think I've really heard anything that sounds like a Wal, except a Wal. The pickups/electronics sound completely unique to me.

5. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    And even if you get the Wal sound, there's still the problem of a Bongo looking nothing like a Wal. Part of the attraction of Wals is just how absolutely gorgeous they are, and, while a Bongo is certainly unique and (I think) quite good-looking, it is simply not a Wal.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I definitely would not compare it to a two pup Stingray. The Stingray bridge pup is closer to the neck than a traditional bridge pup (which is why it still sounds like a Stingray) and the neck pup is much closer to the neck than on a Wal or other similar basses. I'm not real familiar with Wal, but if youo want to humbuckers that are pretty close and pretty far from the neck, you can go G&L, (bolt-on) and Peavey Cirrus (neck through) for well under $2,000. If you want to spend some real money, go for a Sadowsky 24 fret bass or maybe a Ken Smith.

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    Im wondering, is there any way to get wal electronics???? I wouldnt mind making a warmoth with wal elecs.

8. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I wasn't aware we were talking about visually similar.

Patsy, I'm telling you, with those 4 band eqs, especially with the control over high and low mids, I got pretty darned close to the Wal that Hippie loaned me. It was close enough for me, anyway.

And I'm not so sure I'd want a 'new' Wal. I hear things, you know?

9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    the thing about the wals besides their pups, are their electronics with all their filters available.
    Alembics have similar electronics, but the 2 differ on construction.

10. Put Wal electronics in a Peavey T-40, LOL!

.....they both look uhhh "Heavy Duty", if you know what I mean...

or maybe a Gibson RD series perhaps?

:bag::eek:

11. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Non-Wal basses with Wal electronics are extremely rare. As I understand it, Pete Stevens has sent very limited numbers of electronics packages to Martin Peterson of the London Bass Gallery / SEI bass fame but that's about it. The pickups / electronics for the one and only Fodera-Wal (Waldera?) were actually pirated from a Wal bass.

SEI - Wal:
    sei_wal.

Fodera - Wal:

12. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Dammit Lowell.............when's the next get together, I wanna play the Waldera!.........

13. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    How about whenever it stops raining?!? :eyebrow:

14. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I had to repair a Wal once and needed one of the 2 circuit boards. I had to return the first one before I could get the replacement. Pete's pretty tight with those things.

The electronics would be easy to recreate and even legal to sell (morally questionable) if you laid out a new circuit board as you can't patent a circuit and Ian based on it on other designs.

15. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    sigh...

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

How close do the G&L MFD Humbuckers come to the Wal tone ?

17. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Here, here....like Major asked. Then again. Major, don't you have a G&L Custom???

18. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Hey Lowell, I'd be curious to hear what you think about what sounds most like a Wal, all things considered.

Hmmmm?

19. I'm not sure how much of a role the neck-through vs. bolt-on construction plays in the sound, but to my ears Alembic electronics, even the Series 2 setups, are MUCH more civilized than the Wal tone.
    In my book, that's not always a good thing, y'know?

20. KB

KB Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC

They can get close in series/active mode (maybe with treble boost as well).

I have owned both G&L L2000s (3 of them over the years) and a Wal Mk II (Geddy Lee). The L2000 is close, but it still has sort of that vintagey/fendery sort of tone. Wals with their unique pickups and filter based electronics have sort of their own sound that is not Fendery at all.

Currently I only have an 87 L2000 (sold the Wal a little over a year ago because it was way too heavy and the body was too large for me).

I'd love to get another Wal in the future (MKI or MKIII), but for not my L2000 comes close enough for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.