Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wal tone from lesser basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zazz, May 20, 2005.

1. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i have been playing around with graphics and parametrics to try and emulate the wall tone and have been partially successfull. What i really want is that sound of each string to be well defined and have that servere clean square wave rasp. Is this possible without having active pickups and which bass would lend itself to this . I was looking at the g&l l2000 which seemed to display this sound to some extent on a badly setup fretted in a shop the other day....unfortunately a fretless was not available to try out but i might order one and then use my various tone models to see if i can really purify this sound that i am after. I was also wondering if heavier gauge might be the way to go....roundwounds are a given for this i am sure....any comments guys?

ps...another thing is that i have used and owned wals in the past (one of which was a tulip wood amazingly enough without active pickups) and the ones without active pickups are not that much to speak of....it must be all in the electronics as i am sure everyone seems to agree on.

2. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've seen but never actually tried out a Wal. Mick Karn in his late to post Japan days played a nice looking Wal that really got me jonesing for one. Then Geddy Lee got a couple for a while in the 80s and that was it for me. I was very interested in basses but where can you find them?

Then I check out a couple in NYC. Very nice but way out of my price range. Eventually I got a G&L ASAT. This is a tele shaped bass that's really a Jazz bass on steroids. The two humbuckers and active/passive eq give it a lot of tonal variety and muscle. Set up right, I think a fretless G&L L2000 or ASAT maybe do the trick for you. One notable, I believe when G&L redesigned their 5-string model, in order to cut down on the weight, they shrunk down the body a bit and sandwiched tulip wood between ash, flame maple, or whatever have you. As for 4 string basses, I'd guess you'd have to make a special request.

Good Luck,
    r