Wal-Wish or Wish-Wal??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jul 12, 2005.

1. I was checking out the Wal Basses website and saw this little number:

It looks to me like Wish wishes he had a Wal!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Lools more like a Hyperwal :D
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I saw that and thought the same thing!
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Its backwards
  5. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    It's not your conventional Wal, but to compare it to a wish... :eek:

BTW, it's a lefty.
  6. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Someone at the Dudepit owns it, I believe. I think it's nicknamed the "3 Octave".

I think it's cool. :D
  7. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    FWIW, I know it should be lefty based on the horns, but why is it strung right handed? or are my eyes deceiving me? is the E string not to the left? and the look at the bridge.... am I not seeing this correctly?
  8. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I really like it. Comparing it to a Wish is definately a shot below the belt.

As for the strings, I'm not sure what's up. In the 'How to build an electric guitar and bass' book, one of the guitars is strung the same way. I've always wondered why.
  9. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I think it was strung that way so that it could be given a "test run" before it was shipped out :)

10. I thought it was the other right... :meh:
  11. walwear

Feb 17, 2003
    That's Steve's (the undisputed king of Wal-Nuts and webmaster for the Wal site) second 3-octave fretless. He actually plays lefty strung righty!!! I can't even wrap my head around how he does that. He's an excellent bassist, however, so he's obviously figured it out.
  12. Oh, I'm not comparing it to a Wish Bass! I saw this and figured out where Wish gets his ideas!
  13. Szipmonk

May 11, 2004
  14. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I'm completely mind boggled now... and here I was thinking that we finally have proof that Pete was having too much fun with it to ship it to Steve :D
  15. It looks to me like Wish wishes he had a Wal![/QUOTE]

16. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    It's a sad day when someone sees a great design that's well executed in ANY form and thinks Wish.

I guess it's just that Wish has ripped that particular body shape off more than he has some of the others.
  17. [​IMG]

Definately looks more like a Hyper Bass than any Wish I've seen.... Of course, I see your point, as you're trying to point out that maybe Wish basses get some of their ideas from that there Wal.

None the less, I think that it is a beautiful instrument, and I would love to own one, despite not being able to play it properly :p .

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my uncle is a professional bass player who plays lefty strung righty too. he has the only left handed old style kubicki around - used a righty neck.
  19. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Just like Dick Dale, some lefties just turned a guitar or bass over and played it that way, with the strings strung righty.
  20. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's definatly strung righty. He's probably a lefty that learned on righty basses so now he plays with the E furthest away from him. I've seen a couple of guys that do it that way.