Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pumo420, Nov 3, 2001.

1. pumo420

pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    illinois
    i have been hearing alot about wal basses. i tried looking all over the net andi couldnt find any sites related to this brand.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Go to harmonycentral.com, and go to "bass", and click on manfacturers, and scroll down to "Wal". Also, there are a couple @ Bass Central. I'd love to play one, too. I've also heard a lot of good things about them. I do know one thing: they ain't cheap!

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  4. You don't see much about them because Guitar Center doesn't carry them. ;-)

Seriously, they're a small English shop (just the builder, Pete Stevens, and one helper) putting out a relatively small number of basses, and there are only a handful of US dealers. The site barroso mentioned, http://www.walbasses.com , is actually a "semi-official" site put together by a Wal collector, but there's lots of good information there.

I've owned 4 Wals myself--I just took delivery of a 4-string in the new "Mach III" body style. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. There's also a "Wal Club" over on Yahoo ( http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/walbassesnaturally ) that sometimes has some good discussions.

Mike

5. You mean the "Wal" name does`nt mean you can get `em at Wal-Mart?? Doh!!:rolleyes: :p

6. Wals are among the sweetest basses made today...i've had the pleasure to play two, a fretless and a fretted 5...the fretless played like buuuuuuuutter, beautiful bass...the fiver had the tightest B i've ever played...they are quite expensive, but who needs a car?:)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I played one about 5 years ago. It was the Geddy Lee model & it was $3200 priced down to $2499!!!!! It eas SUPER VERSATILE. The neck felt great. It was kinda heavy. I was (and still am) broke or I would of bought it. (I didn't have a credit card then ;):p)

8. Carolyn

Carolyn

Jun 18, 2001
    Newcastle UK
    I'm also interested in Wal.

After 4 months od searching for a new 5 string fretless....I had settled for a Stingray..but I've played 4 and didn't feel comfortable with any..

I've stumbled across this on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1479931268

I'm hesitant to buy something unseen, unplayed,anyone got any opinions,advice?

cx

9. Well, I'm acquainted with the seller of that one, and would have no hesitation at all about buying a bass from him. This particular bass is kinda neat, in that it is one of the first 5's to use the Mach III body. It also has LED position markers on the side of the neck, which are a fairly pricey option.

OTOH, if you've never played a Wal at all, I can see where you might be hesitant! The Wal sound is even better on fretless than it is on fretted, though--pretty much the ideal fretless sound, to me. And the Mach III body addresses the main complaints folks had about older Wals, namely the weight and the blocky neck heel. My Mach III is one of the lighter basses I've owned, which is certainly not true of any of my previous Wals.

No doubt that it's expensive. You'll also need to figure something like another $250 to get it shipped over from the UK, too. You'll have a hard time finding a fretless Mach III 5-string over here, though.

If I were looking at fretlesses in that price range, I'd certainly consider it.

Mike

10. Carolyn

Carolyn

Jun 18, 2001
    Newcastle UK
    Mike, thanks for that.

I haven't actually played a Wal before,which is part of the reason I'm so hesitant. I have heard good things about them, from people I respect and trust, which is why I'm so interested.

I'm actually in the UK so it's not beyond the realms of possibility for me to travel to see it. (just a little inconvenient, but I've travelled further to see basses not half as appealing as this one!)

Thanks for taking the time.

cxx

Edit..Sorry to hog the thread!

11. Carolyn,

If you're already in the UK, I'd definately see about making a trip to check the bass out! If you do, tell Gareth that I said "Hi"...

Good luck!

Mike