1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SgtKoi, Feb 17, 2008.

1. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    Hi,

Where's the wal bass website? I can't find it on google. Are they making them anymore? I went on wikipedia to get the website, but it's not up...

Roy

2. Hey
    Steve shut down his Wal site, which was never an official site, some time last year. I haven't checked in months, but the walbassesnaturally Yahoo! site may still be up and running.
    Last I heard, Pete Stevens was feeling well enough to build enough Wals to fulfill most or all of the outstanding orders but was planning to call it a day after that.
    If anyone has better info, feel free to correct me.

3. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Another Luthier will be taking over for Pete with Pete's blessing. No time-line is known, but it may be that back-orders will be taken care of first.

PS There are a couple of Wals on ebay at the moment....I believe they are in the UK.

The Yahoo Wal Club is up-and-running as well as
    http://badassbassplayers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=88

4. What?!?! Who? When?!!?!?!!?!?!!

5. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Yes.
    Unknown.
    Unknown.

My guess is that it's someone that worked in his shop in the past.

6. Good to know. I'll still be getting an LEJ 6er with Benevante wide humbuckers and Brian's ultimate pre-amp, but I wouldn't mind having a nice Wal 4 or 5.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It's a shame that Wal site shut down, it was really good!

8. Yeah I really want to know the date that new orders will be taken, and who the new luthier is. The moment I know my name's going on the order list.

9. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    FYI. There are two scam Wal auctions on eBay right now.

10. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    the last I heard was there is a seven year backlog of old orders.

11. Last I heard it was four. I need to hear more often.

12. Yep..they are SCAMS!

13. I heard its going to take 3 years to complete orders that were taken before Pete closed it up. So i would say close to a 4 year wait. That should be enough time for anyone to save up $6,000

14. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Yes...just got back online and saw these posts at WalBassesNaturally:

Looks like the items have been removed -- and the
    seller had an ID switch. Ah well -- wishful Walling

Thanks for the lively discussion about veracity :D

Jeff

--- dean b <deaners70@...> wrote:

> Sorry but these 2 Wals are SCAMS. They both have
    > been for sale 3 times in the last 3 months or so. At
    > one point the guy said he was from the UK but living
    > in Cal (i think) and moving to Canada and needed the
    > money for the moving expense. You have been warned!!
    >
    > D.

Sorry to get hopes up!

15. A four-year backlog is an optimistic guess. If it were true, my entry would be the first one in the book.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I would expect the waiting time to be more than 4 years, for sure....

17. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    And Chris Franklin says over at BadASs:

Ok guys: here is an update on new WAL production. It is happening but Slow.

Last autumn Pete introduced me to my “New Friend” in High Wycombe at the time when Pete shipped his woodworking machines to my New Friends workshop. Both of them were keen that the legacy of Wal continue and my NF was keen to preserve all aspects of WALS (custom built bridges, pickups and circuit boards etc.)

Several aspects need to come together: the easier ones being the investment in parts, followed by taking on of extra labour within NF’s existing business, followed by bringing the old machinery up to current H&S standards.
    NF will also want to cost out the whole thing and come up with a new pricelist. Do not expect cheap.

But firstly NF has to agree the legal stuff with Pete and his silent partner. This bit seems to be taking time. (I do not think there is any particular stumbling block – it is more about communication and telephone calls!)

It was great to speak to NF who is very happy for me to call him at any time; however he would prefer that I do not pre-empt anything by giving out his name and number. So please don’t ask. He did however recommend that any servicing on Custom WALS can be done in the UK at Charlie Chandler’s Guitar Experience. You can look them up at http://www.guitar-xperience.com/onlinestore/ . Spare parts are a major problem for older Pro series. There are no pcbs, no transistors, no scratchplates. Bridge parts are on hold until Custom bits are up to speed. Volume and tone pots. are standard RS type spares.

I have read various postings about back orders etc. My best guess that other than the 10 guitar necks that Pete started in September 2006, all other names will be contacted to see if they are still wish to continue. My guess is that only a hand full will want to.

18. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Well I guess if we're being realistic, we can see production coming back online at some point in 2008. I wonder why Chris feels that only a handful of people that are back ordered will still want to go ahead and have their instruments made. I'm sure plenty of those people are still chomping at the bit!

19. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    I spoke with Pete 6 years ago about a six-string fretless....he put me on the list as far as I know. I'd still have it made!