Walk On The Wild Side

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jan 11, 2001.

1. I'm pretty sure that everyone on here knows that Herbie Flowers put down two basslines (upright and electric) on Lou Reed's "Walk On The Wild Side", but I was wondering how those of you who've had to cover the song live had tackled the two parts.
    in a Lou Reed live video I saw Fernando Saunders, his regular bass player, play it as the root and tenth on the E and G strings, but it didn't really sound right.

the one time I had to cover the song I played it by tapping the two lines in the chorus - simply a C and F for the low upright part, though- my tapping skills aren't up to doing both complete lines yet.
    how about you guys?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I saw Will Lee do this on the tube(years ago).

With your FRETTING hand's middle finger, tap the "F#" on the "G"-string(11th fret).
    With your PLUCKING hand's middle finger, tap the "D" on the "E"-string(10th fret).

SLIDE the fretting hand's "F#" UP to "B" on the "G-string"(16th fret)
    SLIDE the plucking hand's "D" DOWN to "G" on the "E"-string(3rd fret)
    "G" @the 3rd fret + "B" @the 16th fret...a 17th? :D
    Did Saunders SLIDE up/down when making the change?

Careful, 'cause your hands are moving in contrary motion; hope that helps.
  3. Yep, that's how I play it. Is the original key D or C? I don't actually have a recording of it, but when I played in D, my singer friend corrected me saying he thought it was in C. Anyone know which it is for sure?
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I dunno the key.
    2,000 record albums + about the same number in cds & I DON'T HAVE any Lou Reed in the house.

Mock The Turtle-
    ...I forgot to add that you'll need to slide up/down to get back to the "D"/"F#" position.
    BTW, the rhythm is /1.....4./1.....4./1..etc
  5. the original's in C.
    wow- that way looks quite flashy- the two hands moving apart drastically.
    I remember Fernando Saunders didn't play it two handed, but as conventional fretted and plucked C and high E etc.

the way I played it was simpler- C and then F hammered at the 3rd and 1st frets on the A and E strings with the left hand, and E hammered at the 9th fret of the G string and slid up to the A at the 14th fret with the right hand (and C hammered at fret 17 and slid back down to E).
    the simpler left hand part allowed me to do a couple of the fills at the end of the song too. overall it got the job done:cool:, although most people listening probably thought it was the guitars doing it:rolleyes:
  6. ps. it's quite hard to get the higher part to sound right on the first tapped E - ie. to ring out without being too harsh - I think the original high part (aside from being played either fingerstyle or with a pick) was done on a Jazz Bass with flatwounds (nylon tapewounds, I believe).
    It didn't help that the occasion I played it (depping with a friend's cover band) I had to play in E flat tuning- strings feeling slack with lots of buzzes and fret noise:(