Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walk on the Wild Side

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Turock, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Anybody play this tune? I fake the two parts by simultaneously playing the C on the E-string and the tenth on the G-string, and sliding the whole thing up to the F (on the thirteenth fret) along with the tenth. I don't think anyone (except me) really knows the difference. However, there are some tasty licks (right after the "colored girls" sing) that I find difficult to pull off using this technique. I would be interested in hearing how other people approach this song.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey Turock-
    Here's another way to 'fake' that part you've mentioned(saw Will Lee doin' it somewhere...).

With the fretting hand-
    Tap the LOW "C" @the 8th fret/E-string

With the plucking hand-
    Tap the high "E" @the 9th fret/G-string

...basically, that's exactly what you're already doing.
    BUT-

With the fretting hand-
    SLIDE the fretting hand DOWN to "F" @the 1st fret/E-string
    SLIDE the plucking hand UP the "A" @the 14th fret/G-string

I usually play the above using "D" & "G" as the changes...never really tried it using "C" & "F".
    If I hadda play this tune, I would try the above; the other sections of the tune I would attempt to cop/ape the acoustic bass part(thru palm muting &/or plucking up over the neck...honestly, though, I haven't made a sincere enough attempt at pulling off this tune).

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just for curiousity, which version of "Walk on the Wild Side" are you talking about?

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Lou Reed, off of the "Transformer" album.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Thanks for responding JimK.
    I have tried sliding the two notes in different directions, but that leaves both hands tied up. If I slide the whole thing up, it leaves my right hand free to attempt to tap out some of the higher licks.
    I have found it's easier (when using the slide in both directions technique) to play the tenth of the C on the D-string (14th fret), and while sliding down to the F (on the E-string) to tap a note on the G-string and slide it up a few frets stopping at the 14th fret. I hope all that makes sense.

6. the way I play it is tapping the C on the 3rd fret of the A string and then the F on the 1st fret of the E string with the left hand without sliding, while doing the sliding E to A on the G string with my right hand, which allows some of the high fills to be played with the right hand, as I don't have to concentrate on left hand position on the neck.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Hello MTR,
    I have tried a similiar approach, except on a 5-string, tapping the C on the 8th fret E-string and tapping the F on the 6th fret B-string. I found it easier to tap there, further away from the nut, and I can get a more consistant sound. Thanks for your input.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This bass line on the Lou Reed track, was played by Herbie Flowers who lives and works in my home town. I think he has probably got fed up with talking about this, but I'm sure it's got him a few gigs as well! ;)

Anyway he explained how there were actually two bass tracks on this - one double bass and one eletcric bass.

9. given the discussion, i think i'll nudge this over to "technique"

*yoink*