Walk The Line - Johnny Cash

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Nov 9, 2011.

1. I have the entire song from the first verse to the end with the different key changes and runs to each key but I just need the intro..any help on a tab or the chords/key changes would be helpful...I'm using the original version which begins the first verse in F by the way...

2. Doesn't seem right to me..not sure why on the first first they have the 1-5 of C as C-E instead of C-G ....intro sounds like the right chords though..just need to fill in the runs.

3. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here it is in its simplest form:

G----------------------------------------------------------------------
    D-----------------0-1---1-1-0----3-----------------------------------
    A-----0-1--1-1-3-----1-------3-1--1-1-0-----3--3------3-3-3-1--0-
    E-1-3----1---------------------------------3-1-----1-3-1------------3-1

4. phoenixjmw

phoenixjmw

Jul 9, 2013
    Hey I have a question forthos more familiar with this song...

Rydin mentions original version?

Here is my issue:

The intro listed here matches the intro I play which matches the version I have on a CD. 1st verse uses F,C, Bb.

However it seems all the tabs and demos have the song starting in E,A, D and sometimes a B7.

Are there different standard versions of this or are people just transposing keys for the fun of it?

5. My version is F, C, Bb. I guess folks are just playing it the easy way.

6. phoenixjmw

phoenixjmw

Jul 9, 2013
    Thanks Nashville. Thing is with so many changes I want to learn the song version most likely to be played. Would you be able to say how bands would typically play this at a gig?

Strange observation, I like the "E" version better for guitar but the "F" version seems to sound better on bass.

Edit:

Nevermind lol, solved my own mystery. Those damn guitar players and their capos!

7. Bless your guitarist if s/he will actually use a capo instead of making you transpose.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021