Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout + 3 Aggie 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackson0321, May 30, 2005.

1. jackson0321

jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    anybody try this, runnng the amp at 2.67 ok?
    and would this be loud enough for a 5 peice pop/rock band

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have run my Walkabout at gigs and at practice for hours on end at 2.67 ohm with no problems. I have not tried it with GS112's, though, but others here on TalkBass have.

Tom.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I don't know how many watts your amp puts out but I've used two GS112's with my loud rock band and have been very happy with them. I'm putting 275 watts into each one. Saturday we played on an outdoor stage beergarden type thing and only had to turn up slightly over half way.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Walkabout and 3 112's sounds like it would make a killer combination. Tell us how it sounds!

5. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I'm dying to try the 3, GS112's. I think that would be an outstanding setup.

The Walkabout is not rated at 2 ohms. 4 ohms is what the manual says is min. I'm sure it can run 2.67 but it may have an effect on the longevity of the amp.

I'm just cautious I guess.

6. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Why not choose a little cheaper setup?

Say, the GS112 with the GS212 ? The GS212 isn't that large and for smaller gigs you can take the 112 with you, the larger stuff is dealt with when adding the 212. The 212 is cheaper than two times a 112!

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, the manual states:

"Minimum load rating is 2 Ohms and while the WalkAbout will handle this load condition - and in fact produce more than its rated power, it is not recommended. Prolonged use of a 2 Ohm load will cause the power mosfets to run hot causing the protection circuit to trigger and mute the output signal until such time as the mosfets can return to a safe operating temperature. Avoid using 2 Ohm loads whenever possible."

Therefore, you would suspect that before you would do any damage, the thermal protection circuits would kick in. In my experience, though, the amp does not even get hot running a 2.67 (or even a 2) Ohm load over long periods of time. However, I think that others may have experienced heat build up. I recall Ben Strange putting some Walkabouts through extended 2 Ohm "torture tests" and they had no problems.

Tom.