Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout and Bag End

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcjazzbass, Aug 9, 2003.

1. kcjazzbass

kcjazzbass

Aug 9, 2003
    Kansas City
    I am considering purchasing a Mesa Walkabout to power an 8 ohm Bag End S15X-D cabinet. I have a passive Devon Diamond J bass. Does the Walkabout have enough power?

Thanks.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    When I was shopping for a new head to go with my pair of S15-Ds a few months back, I was down to either a Walkabout or an Eden WT-550. While the Walkabout seemed to be powerful, I just wasn't comfortable with the output - and I liked the Eden tone a little better than the Boogie's.

What kind of music will you be playing, and in what kind of situations?

3. kcjazzbass

kcjazzbass

Aug 9, 2003
    Kansas City
    I will be playing church and jazz gigs. I also do some rock jamming for fun.

I want to make sure that the amp has enough power to handle what I do. With the passive bass and 8 ohm Bag End, I need to ask. A lot of posts have talked about the Walkabout being underrated in its power, but I want to know if anyone has more information.

Thanks for any replies.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I can tell you that if you are only pushing an 8 ohm load, the Walkabout will not cut it with, say two guitars using 50-100w half stacks and a loud drummer. I have tried this.:(

But, it will push a 4 ohm load (or a 2.67) hard enough to more than compete in the same setting. :D :bassist:

So, for church and jazz gigs, the 8 ohm should work. Once you start rockin', though, I'd suggest adding a second 8 ohm cab.

Tom.