walkabout and svt3-pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jambassist, Apr 13, 2005.

1. jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i just picked up a new eden 212xlt (4 ohm) cause the 210 was way not loud enough for my band. just for fun, i tried the ampeg svt3-pro with the same cabinet and bass. the ampeg sounded good, it just didn't seem as loud as the mesa. the mesa is 300@4 ohms and the ampeg is 450@4 ohms. maybe it's got something to do with the design. both are excellent companies and i'm not about to say that one is better than the other. just an observation on my part. anyone else notice this type of thing? i did tweek the ampeg and got a really good sound out of it, just not the power i thought i'd get.
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    First off, the difference between 300w and 450w is not really all that audible. I'm sure someone more mathematically inclined will chime in as to the DB increase that comes from a 50% increase in power.

Second, I do feel that the Walkabout is a very stout sounding and fairly loud 300w head. It has strong midrange, which may also equate to higher perceived volume.

I loved the sound of my Walkabout into my 212XLT, but mine was an 8 ohm cab, so I think I'd like it with a 4 ohm 212XLT (one of my favorite Eden cabs) even more.

3. jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    ok, that makes sense. something else i like about the walkabout is the parametric eq. don't know about anyone else, but it's easier for me to dial in/fine tune the tone than it is with a graphic.
  4. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Walkabout certainly is a stout head compared to some others. I sometimes take mine out of the Scout cabinet to drive an 8 ohm 1X15 cabinet and it sounds huge even though supposedly able to produce only 150 watts at that impedance. I've never had any problem with a lack of headroom and the sound is great.

I rarely use much of the parametric controls. Some rooms a very slight boost around 200 hz helps fatten up the G string. I usually have to roll off bass slightly. It's a great little amp.