1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

walkabout below 4 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tragicmagic, Oct 7, 2002.

1. I'm thinking about getting the mesa boogie walkabout.

I know a few people here have the walkabout... has anyone ran it below the 4 ohm recommended load? (manual says it can go as low as 2, but it'll run hotter and the thermal protection would kick in)

I currently have a genz benz gbe 250c combo. The amp itself is rated with a 4 ohm minimum load (250 watts), but the factory recommends using the combo with an 8 ohm extension cab. The speaker it comes loaded with is already at 4 ohms... using with the extension cab drops the overall load to something like 2.6 to get 330 watts. I've done this with great results and no problems... wondering if the walkabout will do the same.

tm

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    It should be fine. Mesas are known to be reliable. It probably should'nt be ran at 2 ohms at very loud playing levels, but I have used an M-pulse at 2.6 ohms with great results.(no heat)

3. If the specs say it can handle 2 ohms at a certain output power, than why the doubt? Amplifier technology is being improved every day. While ten years ago I would feel itchy about 2 ohms, I don't worry too much about it today. Some car amps do 1 ohm.

All that matters is the quality of the amp. Mesa/Boogie has a rock solid reputation. Enough said, I think.

Regards,
    Joris.

4. I run my m-pulse600 at 2 ohms once in the while(and not for too long)and never had a problem...in fact it did'nt get any hotter than running it at 4 ohms..I was very impressed...it's a tough amp..sounds great too...