Walkabout "blown"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pondscum29, Feb 2, 2017.

1. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Time to tap the braintrust here. I have a Mesa Walkabout Scout 12". At rehearsal last week, and all of a sudden amp starts to "crackle/scratch" with intermittent bass coming out, then nothing at all. Did all the standard troubleshooting: changed basses, cables, no pedalboard, tried the head into a different cab. No sound at all. Checked the 3 fuses inside, and they appear in tact. Both tubes are glowing. So now I ask for your insight. Little help?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    First, try patching a short cable between the effects send and return and see if that solves your problem.

Second, a glowing tube doesn't mean anything except that the heater is working. Try substituting a known good tube in both the V1 and V2 positions. Both tubes are 12AX7, though a 12AT7 or 12AU7 will work just fine for troubleshooting (and you may like them better)

If neither of these solve your problem, give the customer service guys a call on Monday (they are off Fridays) and see what your options are for servicing. Since you are in Sacramento, it's a short drive or ship up to Petaluma and may be your best option so ask them. Once you are up there, Lagunitas Brewery is within walking distance ;)

xj98jeep, GregC, Al Kraft and 4 others like this.
  3. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks. Already tried the patch. I don't have tubes around, so I'll have to get them.

agedhorse likes this.
  4. You'll only NEED to buy one. & just swap it between the 2 tube positions.
    9/10 x this is what it'll be.
    Good luck.

agedhorse likes this.
  5. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Replaced both tubes: nuthin. I get intermittent bass in between the crackles. When I tap the amp, it crackles along with the taps. Hmm. Might be time to ship to Petaluma.

agedhorse likes this.
  6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Did you check the driver with another amp?

I have never blown any amp, but I've blown lots of drivers. :D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  7. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I did try the amp with another cab, nada.

amper likes this.
  8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Test the cabinet with a 9V battery. You should get a hearty thump from the driver.

9. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Unless for some reason, both tubes went at the same time. Unlikely, but possible.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022