Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not sure if this belongs in the "Amps" forum, but it didn't seem to fit in the Sale forum either, since I'm not selling it.

For you guys in the New Orleans area: GC has a display Walkabout head on sale for $599. They just posted it today. Not a bad deal, and I don't have the funds at this moment. I hope one of you guys can take advantage.
    Merry Christmas

Mike

2. Great price! Hope someone from here picks it up.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Wow, great deal on a brilliant head. I love those. Im considering replacing my Ashdown 300EVOII with one.

4. I just spoke with "the boss", I may be picking it up this afternoon. First come...

Mike

5. Cool, do it. I bought my Walkabout used for more than that. You've got a nice "boss" too!

6. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    You will find the Mesa to be money well spent. It sounds killer and it is light and powerful.

7. I actually passed on it today. I may pick it up tomorrow...I'm not sure why I passed. I may not have another chance at that head for that price in a while..... if anyone's interested, I think it's still available.

Mike

8. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    just be careful. the GC by me had the same deal. Floor model for 599. The thing is that everyone and their uncle has prob played it. This one sure felt like it. The thing shorted out on me when i was trying out a MM Stingray the other day.
    I have a Walkabout already. Awsome little fella. Has enough to power an Ampeg 8x10. If its in excellent condition and you can get them to gaurentee it then I say get it. you wont be disappointed.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Our local GCs seem to be doing the same. I wonder if they're dropping the Walkabout, or if it's just time to refresh the floor model?

Great little head! I was down to the Walkabout or the WT-550 a few years ago, and it was a close decision.

10. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    At my local GC, the floor gear gets put through the ringer. I have never seen so many broken knobs, jacks, dings, you name it. If I could get one NEW in Box from the stock, that would make me feel a whole lot better.

11. fredguy

fredguy

Dec 13, 2004
    ootah
    The guitar center in salt lake city had one for $499. I brought in my old swr sm-400s to compare it to the walkabout. It took all of 2 minutes for me to ask how much they'd give me in trade. They offered me $480 for the swr. Needless to say I walked out with a new walkabout :hyper: .

dave

12. You're all making me feel stupid for not buying it. I never said why I didn't...so here's the reason. I saw the head in the morning, called my wife at lunch, and attempted to call the GC (to see if it was still in stock) at about 2 pm. I was on hold for 20 min. I called back, same deal. I was quite pissed and didn't feel like fighting traffic unless I knew it was there. I haven't been back.

Mike

13. :crying: You are making me cry - I have an SWR SM400 and would trade for a used walkabout in a heartbeat - let alone a new one!! Well done!!

14. toddmcm

toddmcm

Jan 19, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    They still have them at the GC in Fountain Valley. I got mine there, they had a stack of about 10 of them. I went through each of them and there were two that were in PERFECT conditon. I paid $645 out the door. Using it with a mesa 1x15 - soon to be a 1x15 AND 2x10

15. I've just gotten back from GC. They still have the Walkabout head @ $599. I'm in a pinch now. I just completed a trade that brought a nice SR5 into my possesion. What to do. I love the bass....but really want the head. Trading this bass is the only way I will be able to get the Walkabout. Thoughts?

Mike

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Funnily, I first tried the Walkabout (head and 2 combos) at the Guitar Center in New Orleans.
    Well, I didn't like them back then and still don't today. They sound shallow to me. Not much personality, no appeal.

17. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey Mike,
    I guess you need to ask yourself if you'd like your sound better with the basses you own, minus the SR5, but with the Walkabout.... or Vice Versa.
    GAS is an evil, wicked force. Makes you get rid of epuipment you swore you'd keep forever :meh: .

18. toddmcm

toddmcm

Jan 19, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Yer off yer rocker - or don't know how to adjust an amp. Sorry, but you obviously just don't know what your talking about.

19. I must look like an idiot, because the morons at GC just tried to offer me $550 for the SR5...claiming it could only be sold for $650. I countered with an even swap for the Walkabout...and got denied.

Mike

20. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Sell the ray yourself, get the walkabout, and keep the rest! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.