Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout M300 need help from you gurus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspro2, Jan 29, 2003.

1. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Question . I have a Mesa Walkabout that is about 2 months old if that , it has never been out of the house and I use it only for practice . Two days ago I turned it on and it soundes like an electrical surge like in the Frankinstien movies coming out of the speakers and loud pops I mean real loud ,also like in the old days when people had cb radios and you could here them talking thru your amp. I shut it off and turn it back on again and it goes away, but if I let it sit for awhile and turn it on it will do it again for about 3 min. the stop. I took the cover off and wiggled the tubes and sprayed a noisy pot but it's still there... help

2. Have you tried replacing the 12AXs altogether? I was having really strange things going on with a pre-amp until I swapped out the tubes with new ones. they're cheap so you can experiment.

3. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    As far as your particular case, its completely beyond my reaches as a semi-guru.

It might not be a bad idea, though, to go ahead and put in a Groove Tube 12AX7. I know it made all the difference in my Eden WT-300.

4. I put a 12at7 in my m-pulse and found it to sound a little clearer, warmer, and nicer highs. Yes clearer and warmer at the same time. Really nice! I believe the tubes are under waranty for the first 6 mo. if you want to look into that.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I second (or is it fifth?) the tube diagnosis.

6. Interesting, I also have had some buzz/electrical sound from mine but it only occurs on certain notes/frequencies. Usually on B or C on the B string. It's loudest when I play the B one octave up on the B string. It buzzes and pops no matter what speaker it's hooked to. Mine is way out of warranty.

Should I change tubes too?

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sometimes tubes will do wierd things like that. When in doubt, change 'em. It could save you alot of trouble.

8. So where's the best source for decent tubes at a decent price? How many tubes in a Walkabout?

I haven't had the cover off of mine yet. We're still just dating.

9. There's only 2 tubes in a WalkAbout... if that doesn't fix it have Mesa look at it. I doubt they (Mesa) want it sounding like that either. :eek: