Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout Noises & Missing Tube - Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dedmyers, Feb 26, 2004.

1. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    I bought a used walkabout a couple of weeks ago off ebay. I have two problems that I would like your opinions on since I am a relative noob to bass amps (especially tube amps).

1. When I recieved the amp, I heard a rattling sound. I removed the cover and found a missing tube (left side tube looking at the front of the amp). The tube was rolling around under one of the boards. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he says he never opened the case and said that maybe the tube fell out of its seat in transport, but when I replaced it, the fit was way to tight for that to be the case.

He also said that it worked perfectly when it was shipped. Can this amp run without that tube?

2. It wasn't happening at first, but now I hear a somewhat faint sound like a very small vacuum cleaner that comes and goes no matter what the volume knob is at. And, about every 10 minutes, the low E and low B will distort (this is at low volumes). What is going on? Could that tube have been damaged when rolling around?

I know you guys have a wealth of experience and knowledge, do you have any thoughts on this?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, the tube could easily have fallen out when shipped. Yes, it could be the tube causing the noises. Spring for a new one ($10 or so) and see if it fixes the problem.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is definitely a possibility. Is it one of the small tubes, or a bigger one? The big ones are for power. The small are for the preamp. Just clearing some stuff up

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    woops. DuH!!! sorry about that. I just had Mesa 400 on the brain. Yeah, preamp tubes are cheap. Lot of times they can get microphonic and pick up all sorts of wierd noises. Anyways, grap yourself a new one, pop it in, an you'll be just fine!