Walkabout or Ashdown ABM500 EVO II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greg Jones, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    After much time spent reading, studying and GASing I think I've narrowed my list down to these two.

I can't find anything bad about either one. I plan on getting out and trying to find these locally in a store so I can actually play through one.

To be honest I think the Ashdown will take me further. I am a little concerned about the 300W of the Walkabout. I am not gigging right now but want to get into something that won't hinder me down the road. I know, GAS will probably rear it's ugly head again in the meantime but still.

Can anyone comment on the difference in the two Scouts? 12" vs. 15" Most posts I've read tout the 12" as very good but I don't see a lot on the 15". ???
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used the Walkabout Scout 12 for 2 years now. It's an amazing little amp. The biggest sound I've heard in that size amp. Don't let the 300 watts fool you-this thing is capable of serious volume. I've also used the head to drive other cabinets with great results.

I tried the 15 in a store and it sounds even bigger, but more than I need.

I haven't tried the Ashdown on a live gig.

I'm very much satisfied with my Walkabout.
  3. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Check the Walkabout Mega Thread. Lots of good info in there. I've got the 1x12 Scout and I love it. I don't like 15s, so... I can practice with a rock band with just the scout and it works like a champ. It also sounds (and looks) great doing it...

4. 3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    They are both killer heads. I really think it is going to come down to taste. You don't need to worry about the 300 watts of the walkabout not being loud enough. I have jammed on both heads. My friend and fellow TB'er Wes Watson's walkabout kept up and cut through a 1st gen dual-rec, a heavily modded 150 watt 5150 and a bogner uberschall (tone for days) in a metal setting and I would sometimes use it with my band along a vintage marshall stack and a very loud boutique amp and it sounded great. The evo 500 definately has more headroom, but I don't think it is enough of a difference over the walkabout if you like it's tone.

The evo 500 hits the lows were the mesa hits the low mids and mids. Both great depending on your thing. I hope you can find some to try. Hope this helps and enjoy tryin' gear!
  5. I would choose the ABM only because I am a big Ashdown fan. If I had heard a Walkabout before I ever heard an ABM, I would probably be a big Walkabout fan. These are two great amps. I doubt that I would ever need more volume than I could produce with the Walkabout and if I did, I would certainly have FOH support.
  6. THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    No experience with the walkabout, but LOVE the sound and features of the Ashdown.
    Problem is, the Ashdown is in for warranty work after only a few months.
    I am bummed, because this amp has so much going for it.
    Sorry to have to say.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i say ashdown.

the walkabout, IME, was underpowered. also, the tone knobs had little travel and didnt like how the EQ was voiced. made my epifani UL not sound so nice.

BUT, the ashdown ABM line is great. love the EQ, and how easy it was finding a killer tone. still, i'm hoping for the brits to produce a small 15 lbs. head with their front end preamp.