Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout preamp suggestion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lawndart, Jun 30, 2005.

1. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Have any of you swapped out the preamp tubes on your Walkabout? If so what type and how did the amp sound after the swap?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Check out my blog (see signature, below). I did a shootout and ended up liking an NOS Telefunken the best, though the JJ was pretty darn good, too.

Tom.

3. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    WOW love that site you directed me to. Ive got a question or two for you. You said:

Ultimately, it came down the JAN Phillips, the Tele, and the JJ. These three were the most similar sounding of the bunch. I ended up choosing the Tele for its articulation and best overdrive tone. The JJ would probably be my second choice, although the JAN Phillips was very, very comparable.

The Walkabout has a second tube which drives the MOSFETs, and after playing around a bit, I chose the JAN Phillips for that duty. It really is too bad that the Shuguang had that string noise thing going on, because it really kicked in the pre-MOSFET socket - most balls and gain of the bunch.

Is it alright to have two different tube in the preamp? I guess it is, cause they're just different manufacturers. Its basically just plug and play no?

thanks again
    Im off to find their website to order the tubes.

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yup. There is no need to match the two tubes in the Walkabout. Both serve unique functions (preamp and driver). I also think that you could try any of the "12AX7 compatible" tubes (e.g., 12AT7, 12AU7, 7025, 5751, etc.) without any problems.

Have fun!

Tom.

5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    cool.
    I checked out his website. I noticed alot of the preamp tubes such as the Telefunkins are used. Thats ok right?

Also sweet sweet Trace V8. mmm mmm

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio

If money isn't an issue (or if the price isn't too outrageous), NOS would be preferred. But, if you buy from someone you trust (and I trust Doug), you can get a good tube for less if it is a used tube that tests strong. Preamp tubes tend to have good life to them.

Thanks! :D