Walkabout Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sako, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm trying to put together a small, portable rig and have some questions for you Walkabout owners.

1) Is the Walkabout Scout 12 combo loud enough for practice with a loud drummer and a guitarist with a Fender Ultra Chorus (2 12s)?

2) What cabs do you use for your Walkabout head or for the Scout?

3) Is a Scout + a cab loud enough for a rock gig in a small club?

Any insight is appreciated. I'm trying to decide whether to go Mesa or Yorkville (the 400 or 800 head +cab).
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Walkabout should be loud enough for what you describe in your first question. I use the Scout combo with its single 12. I've been louder than I like to play several times.

If you add an extension cabinet the loudness and depth increases noticeably. However, most Scout cabinets are 4 ohms. Adding an extension lowers the impedance below 4 ohms, which Mesa doesn't recommend. Many users do this however and experience no problems with the amp overheating.

I've also used the head alone to drive various cabinets, 4X10s and 1X15s. It sounds very good and the power the amp puts out at even 8 ohms seems far more than manufaturer's specs. On one gig I drove an 8 ohm 15 to a very loud level before the amp ran out of juice. On another gig I played loudly through a 3 way cab loaded with high end end speakers (RCF 15, 10 and horn). It had a huge sound.

I think it's a wonderful little amp and by playing with the overdrive you get a very nice tube sound. I think it's the biggest sounding 300 watt amp out there. It'll do the clean flat sound well too.

I have not upgraded the tubes as some have. I feel no need for it. I've had mine just a month under 2 years and had no problems.
  3. 1. I have no experience specifcally with the combo, but I use my Walkabout head with a 1x12 cab, playing a 5 string, and it does quite well. I have a very loud drumer, and I have no problems hearing myself in practice.

2. I use a Gallien Krueger Neo112 with mine. Its getting 160 watts at 8 ohms.

3. I have no experience with the Scout again, but Ive used my 1x12 with my crappy old Hartke 2x10 as a monitor for my drummer and I was able to get some considerable volume out of the rig.

Check out the Walkabout Megathread, lots of good reviews in there. If youre looking for a small, light, loud amp, definitely take a look at the Walkabout head. Good luck.

4. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

The new Scout extension cabs in 12" and 15" are availabe in
    8 ohm versions according to the Mesa website the last time I checked. A Walkabout head with two of these might be nice and lightweight and see 4 ohms, just a thought. Also, I thought the Walkabout Scout was now available in both 4 and 8 ohm versions, not sure though I'll have to check that out.

5. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I think you can order the Scout combo in 8 ohm versions. Yes, a pair of Scout extension cabs with the Walkabout would be pretty potent. Even at 8 ohms the walkabout puts out enough juice to drive most efficient single speaker cabinets into distortion, before the head hits clipping.
  6. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    thanks for the input. i also checked out the mega thread -- good stuff.

i think the scout with an extention is ideal -- the only negative is price, from what i'm seeing they are a bit expensive. i'll have to work on my budget.
  7. Id try and find a used Walkabout. They pop up on the classifieds fairly ofter for around 600. Grab one of those and a Schroeder 1210 or 1212. That should cover 'bout anything you'd need it to. Thats what I plan to have in the end.

If you can get by a Guitar Center, you may get lucky like I did. I picked up a new floor model Walkabout head out the door for 500 bucks. Seems they werent going to be carrying them because no one wanted them.

EDIT: Just noticed youre in Charlotte. I got my Walkabout from the Raleigh GC. Check that one out. Might have another one.