Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

walkabout scout 12" or 15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by _alex_, Dec 3, 2004.

1. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)
    hi there,
    well i need help in to choose wich mesa walkabout scout...
    i really like the 12" never tried the 15",is the sound much different?
    do i have more power with the 15"?
    wich is the preference here? :rollno:

ps:can i use a upright in this combo?

thanks in advance

2. i'd go with the 12. IMO, 12's are the best of both worlds. punch a la 10's. and lows a la 15's.

3. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I agree. The 12 is the way to go. Same power, doesn't get booming either.

4. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    but if i use with a 5 string,is the 12 " enough?

5. It should be able to handle it no problem. I have a Walkabout head going into the GS112 that i use with my 5'er. I've had the neck pickup soloed and the bass boost all the way up on my bass and its to much for my living room. Thats with the heads bass knob slightly less then half. The bass the Walkabout can put out is pretty shocking, others who own them should agree. Again, i think the 12 will do the job with room to spare.

and with the passive radiator :eek: , it will handle some major booty !

IMO of course :D

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I agree with danhorne that a 12 is the best of both worlds. I have the 12 Scout combo and I use a 5 string Spector and a 5 string Cirrus and it sounds awesome. I have not played a 15 Scout though, but I had a 1-15 Ampeg 225 watt combo and it seemed just a bit flabby.

7. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Alex

My 2 cents is 'don't rush it'

The scout 12" is ubuiquitous but I would doubt that no more than a handful of folk has laid an ear on the 15" - so few are out there.

I too like the 15" thing and spent 6 happy years with a Dynacord 15" combo in the 80's and the Mesa 15 has my interest piqued too. The 12" is great but I would love to hear that 15" working!

If you do find one, let us know what you think especially if you can do the comparison.

Best of luck

8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I agree with Tubster..
    I have the 12" Scout and always get great results with a 4 or a 5 but if you are going to lay out 1200 bucks on a combo you might as well check all options... I still have not seen or heard the 15 Scout and I always stop in the music stores....

Mesa ... why advertise this product and not have it available??

9. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    the music store here they only have the 12 ,and the 15 they will have only in the next week , so i will compare both next week and ill post my opinion.
    but thanks all teh opinions :hyper: i think that the 12" is really awesome ,iam not a really fan of 15" but as this is a small combo im afraid to buy the 12" and do not have enough bass and then after a while regret why i dont buy the 15" :rolleyes: ...
    for the record my current gear is a SWR 350 with an Hartke 410,and at least i want to have the same quality of sound..i dont ask too much :hyper:
    some guys already told me that i will have LOT more sound and quality with the scout,is this true/possible????

thanks all,
    alex

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I don't think that having enough bass will be a problem in the least with the passive radiator running.

I have a Powerhouse 115 right now and it is fast and punchy as 115's go (I really never was a fan of 115's until I played some of the better ones). It also handles the b-string without a problem. I don't think it's boomy or mushy either. It's actually pretty flat sounding and very responsive to what you put into it. It was painfully bright with an SWR head and very gooey and warm yet detailed with my 680/power amp combo. I have little experience with Mesa solid state heads other than the Scout 112 which I recently played briefly and did enjoy, but I think you'll be able to dial in and/or out what ever you need to.

I'd say wait to try out the 115 before you decide... I love tens for sheer volume and cut. Single twelve cabs are great but IMO, you really need two of them. And fifteens can be wimpy sounding but the right one will fill a room better than anything else with enough of everything you need... :bassist:

11. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Alex, I was playing an Ampeg SVT Pro 3 thru the Ampeg PR410 cab and I had an Ampeg BA115HP for smaller stuff. I bought a Walkabout Scout 1-12 and the Scout 1-12 extension cab and sold everything else. I have never really "needed" the extension cab, though I use it with my rock bands gigs, mainly for the heck of it. :D

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I am in need a small Combo that works well with my 5 string F Bass. I am used to my Bergantin HT322, so I lean toward a nice clean almost hi-fi sound with a cabinet with a smooth horn. Does the Scout have a tweeter or horn? If not, can it put out some sweet high end tone? thanks! - Gary

13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Bump

14. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Genz Benz Neo 400. Great combo with all the highs you could wish for AND the lows.

15. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Yes it has a tweeter and an attenuator on the back to adjust it.