Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout scout 8ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eweise, Jun 3, 2005.

1. eweise

eweise

Jun 3, 2005
    I'm considering buying a mesa boogie walkabout scout and I would like the option of running an additional speaker with it. I know an 8ohm version can be custom ordered. I'm wondering what the sound level difference is between the 4ohm and 8ohm version. Does anyone have an 8ohm one and if so can it compete with a drummer?

thanks

2. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    The only diffrence between the 8 ohm and 4 ohm version is the 4 ohm will be 300w's by itself, the 8 ohm will be 150 by itself, with an extension cab, the 8 ohm will be 300w and the 4 ohm will be more than 300w (2ohms).

My 35w ibanez, 12" speaker, is almost loud enough to stay with my brothers drum set, when he's playing average(loudness), so I think 150w should be loud enough to keep up with your drummer, but dont take my word on it.

3. eweise

eweise

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks. I think I'll go for the 8ohm version then since I'll be able to add an extension cab later on.

4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

You might want to do a search on this topic... I think you can run the 4 ohm scout @ 2 ohms safely.

IMO... the purpose of the 4 ohm Scout for me was to have a good sounding easy to haul combo w/o needing an extension cab that could compete with a drummer.
    The 4 ohm Scout is plenty loud and sounds good at a high volume. I use it often with good results.

If I have to bring a second cab to a gig I will most likely use a higher powered head....

I also think the walkabout power specs are being bumped up to 360 watts...
    not 100% sure of this but since the Pulse 360 was discontinued the new walkabout might replace it...

5. you what ?

It must depend on drummers and kits, solid state ampeg 300 watt "SVT" and a 2x15 cab, with the amp cranked all the way up (active bass too) and its just loud enough to compete

Thats what is used at the practice room anyway

6. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, I just practiced again today, the amp was lacking a little big and when he started to play hard you couldn't hear the bass at all, I need a bigger amp, but for the style of music were playing now the drummer is mostly using highhats and the bass drum, so my bass is keeping up fine for now.

But I plan on getting the walkabout 15" and extension cab around christmas. Than I wont have any problems keeping up.

Btw, this is the amp I have. I haven't experienced any of the problems that other people have, I love my amp, thats the only thing I have never complained about. My bass, cables, not my amp though.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/480136/

7. eweise

eweise

Jun 3, 2005
    I would definately wait for the new walkabout then. Did you hear anything specific or are guessing about this because they discontinued the 360 head?

8. 57pbass

I think i heard this from a guy at Guitar Center.. you might want to ask Benjamin Strange who posts here or call Mesa..

9. If you can get along without the extra 60 watts . . then go for the original walkabout . . . I got mine on clearance(!) from GC in mid-April for $474.00 - half price. Very much worth the price . . .

10. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Are there any places near or in New york city that sells mesa boogie walkabout, at that price I dont care if its the 12 or 15, im gonna have to make some phone calls and some money. Nobody online sells mesa stuff do they?

11. Nope . . nothing new. And they don't allow price negotiation - what the price is what the price is! None of this $2400 list price and we'll do you a great favor by selling it toy ou for $1200.00. Mesa is expensive, so when you get a good deal on one - take it if you can!

Mark

12. 57pbass

I think that price was just for the head not the cab.... check GC

13. Sorry - I should of been clear on that - it is ONLY the amp. The 15" Scout w/out the amp is $599 . . . you save about $100.00 or so . .

14. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    oh sorry there, I got to excited I guess, I called guitar center in long island and they said they had 2 of the 12" combo's in and they were 1149.00 witch is normal retail price, so Im gonna go check them out next time I go into the city, I want the 15" with "custom" finish options in an 8 ohm version so I guess i need to call mesa to get that?

Anyone have any idea how much they charge for something like this? Im not possitive but im pretty sure thats the colors in getting.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=249

15. 57pbass

I would take a guess that that amp with the custom finish and the 15 will run around 1500 to 1600 hundred ...

16. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well I know that the walkabout 15" combo and the radiator 15" is 1800 without the finish, I just need a guess to how much the finishing will cost.

anyone have a price on their "venture 210", it has the Mpulse 600 for power, and throw a 15 inch speaker under it and it'll be good...

17. Last I checked it was $149 for a custom vinyl/grill option on the 12" Walkabout. and $199 for leather/grill option on the.

Mike

18. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Thanks alot

that was cheaper than I thought it'd be.