1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walkabout scout combo for Double Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuno A., May 26, 2011.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    i know that im on the bass guitar part of the forums, but since many of you have the walkabout combo, maybe some will play double bass or double on both instruments...
    what do you think of the walkabout combo for double bass?
    and what you prefer, the 12" or the 15" ?
    is the 15" significantly louder? or shall i get the 12" at 4 ohms.
    i will use only the combo, not more cabs, i play mainly old jazz, blues, never super loud volumes for me.
    thanks in advance guys

Nuno

2. Hey Nuno, long time no talk.
    Not what you asked, but I'd recommend the GenzBenz Shuttle 6.0T.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Calling Chef......

4. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    It sounds great with mine, an excellent choice. The 12 will do it. Great DI too.

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bumping this to see if anyone else has some direct experience.

6. EKinPNW

EKinPNW

Feb 27, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I've used my Scout 12 combo w/double bass, it works very well. The input impedance matches up well with my Realist pickup, and it sounds just like my bass's acoustic sound. It's also my go-to amp for small to medium volume level situations on BG. If you're planning on using it primarily for DB though, there are other options that are also in that price range but have more DB friendly features, like notch and high pass filters, and XLR inputs; for example Euphonic Audio and Acoustic Image.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Direct experience is not needed. I don't care what anyone says...an amp that sounds great on electric will sound great on upright. Whether or not you like it, only you can say. But I don't know how many times I've been told you can't play upright on Ampeg tube amps or cabs without tweeters, yet I do all the time and it sounds amazing. If someone can take a working amp that's got enough guns for the job and can't get a good sound out of it, I don't ever blame the amp. So yeah, the Walkabout will be as good as any, as long as you like it.

8. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    I'm not impressed with this line. I had a 12" Walkabout but it was wimpy (couldn't handle lows at any kind of volume. Traded it for 15" and had numerous problems with shorts. Mesa has really bad customer service, and never could fix it completely and didn't live up to their warranty.

9. I use my Walkabout regularly for both elec & upright bass. I think it sounds great for both. Mine's a 12" 8 ohm. combo.

10. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    It will work fine, but I would still go with the acoustic image. Better customer support, and a lightweight combo that will perform your needs that really is ideal for DB.