Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout Scout -- Excessive warm-up time.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassIan, Dec 9, 2004.

1. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    To avoid covering the entire thing, I sent my original Walkabout Scout in for the warranty update (the tweeter self-oscillation issue), and the repair was shoddy. I since have been given an entirely new Scout that was manufactured with the updates.

I've noticed one thing different though. Where the old Scout would take a few seconds to warm up, then allow sound through as the preamp tubes were still getting going, the new one takes several MINUTES for anything to happen at all. Total time for the old one to warm up was 15 seconds or so. Total time for the new one has been over 3 minutes before any sound came out of it. Everything sounds fine and is connected correctly. I was wondering what might cause this, or if it's typical of the new updated Walkabout heads? Once it's warmed up, it sounds fantastic as usual with no lack of volume or difference in tone. It just takes a long time to get started.

Thanks for any help.

2. Sounds like maybe the filament voltages are low. That would certainly make them take longer to heat up. Most tubes should be operational after about 10-15 seconds....

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I believe there's a relay in there that works like an automatic standby. Perhaps it's gone bad. Call Boogie and find out what's up.

4. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I may do that. I'm starting to worry about this thing though. This'll be the 2nd time something's gone wrong with it... not really confidence inspiring. I'm certainly not letting it into the hands of the "electronics repair person" who touched/destroyed the last one. I may call Mesa and see what is up...

EDIT:

I called Mesa, and they suggested it was also the relay. I'm gonna have to take it in again... thanks for the help.