WalkAbout Scout Mobility Kit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emor, Aug 19, 2005.

1. emor

May 16, 2004
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Ashdown sold similar items under the "Rig Roadie" designation briefly, they looked much like the superlite ones.

Speaking from a designers standpoint, those wheels on the Mesa item will be of very little use on stairs, they are simply no where near big enough.
  3. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    Looks interesting. I have the 12 Scout and one 12 extension cab. I'd be interested to know what they cost...since it's Mesa it will probably sell for $799 :D
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ampeg sells something similar (same thing?) for their portabass line.

I bought one, and installed it on my Schroeder 1210. It works beautifully. :hyper:
  5. I've had very good luck using the Concorde III model of Kart-a-Bag carts with my small cabs. The Walkabout Scout is a difficult one because of that bottom firing passive woofer, so the Mesa thing might be the best for that. I have a friend that uses the second cart mentioned in the original post and has had good luck with it... but it's not as well built (or expensive!) as the Kart-a-Bag stuff. Their larger carts with the tilt back wheels look awesome also.

Edit.... it looks like the retail of the CIII is right at $100... it's a GREAT cart and that's not very expensive for what you get.
  6. emor

May 16, 2004
    Thanks for the replies.

Another problem with the systems that attach directly to the cab is that apparently you can't use the slipcover for the amp. Considering I had to unload during a rainstorm at a gig last week, I'm leaning more towards a separate unit with a bungee cord or strap. The down-firing radiator in the Scout cabinet has a protective grille installed, so possible damaged would be minimized.

I like the fold-up feature of the Wesco unit, but am curious how it would hold up over time. (More moving parts = more things that could break.)
  7. emor

May 16, 2004
    Do you find that the 4" wheels on the kart-a-bag unit are big enough to easily roll up and down steps?
  8. Starting with the III version, they have 'step walkers'... if you look on the site, it has those curved steel runners behind it... so it does a good job of gliding up and down stairs... of course if you are draggin a cab up to the second floor of your house using a hardwood staircase... that wouldn't be a good thing :D But for typical 'gig' stairs... it works great.
  9. PS... the only negative I have with the cart is that the platform is relatively small. So, for example, with a full size 210 cab, you need to put the speakers toward the back of the cart so the speaker 'leans' toward the cart, and then strap it in with the bungy cords. It works fine. I think the biggest 2 wheel cart in their line has a much bigger platform if that's an issue.
  10. emor

May 16, 2004
    I was thinking about a curb or just a couple of stairs. If I had a long flight to climb I'd just pick it up and carry it. At 61 lbs., the Scout combo is pretty light by bass amp standards; I'm just looking for a little help for my lower back.
  11. I just noticed that you have the Scout 15". That's a pretty big box.... I don't think the III's small platform would handle that (it did fine with the 12" version I had if you put the amp sideways and strapped it in). I would think you would have to go with their biggest 2 wheeler (I think it lists at around $175, so sale price around $150). That would handle any sized cab.
  12. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Looks like they're $59 on Mesa's website.
  13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Bob Gollihur posted a link to a fold up cart he uses.
    I plan to buy one or something like it. He was very happy with
    his, it was on the website at Lowe's.

I'll post the link or thread as soon as I find it, it was
    a couple of months ago.

Forty Bucks iirc.

Edit: Here is one link, it was from IvanMike.

They have a version for 30 bucks on Ebay
    29.99 for buy it now.

Edit2: I found the Bob Gollihur post for the Lowe's hand truck
    link, but it is no longer sold at Lowe's.