Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout settings, opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tryxx, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    As subjective as tone is, I think it's a mighty good reason to get an opinion or two on mine. (I should probably mention if I could record this I would, but I don't have the capabilities right now.)

I've finally worked up the courage to tweak my Walkabout to my fancy trying to find a few tones I could dig. (I like all of them mind you, just things that stick out.) Here's a couple I came up with, it'd be interesting if you could recreate it to the best of your ability and give me some feedback.

I'm using a Modulus Q6, Mesa Walkabout, Epi T-212, GT-6B bypassed.

Everything sounds extremely articulate, but I can't begin to describe the second one. It sounds simply...confused.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. It's been a little while since I played a Walkabout and in fact I was considering buying one...til I got my M-Pulse 360 with the 5 band :D . From what I can remember I had the 1st semi-parametric knob where you have it displayed in the second picture (2 o'clock). I combined that with some cuts mids and set the bass blend knob about 4 o'clock. I boosted the 3rd semi-parametric knob at about 1 o'clock. I messed with the amp for a little over two hours with various basses and spent the most time (an hour) with a MusicMan 4 string. Using the MM I came up with those settings I described. It gave a nice warm punch with significant bottom end and kind of snappy treble.

I hope that gave you something to go by. Theres a lot of tones you can get out of that amp...especially with the right tubes.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well the first one is just scooped, I didn't think people did that anymore ;) It'l sound nice and articulate in your room, but if your playing live, be ready for boominess and an inabililty to cut through...

4. +1.... in a live setting, a very little EQ goes a very long way. The mid on the Walkabout is, I believe, flat when it is turned all the way up, so it behaves a little differently than the other controls, and a little differently from many other amps that use 'active' mid controls. You will find, like many of us, that a good live sound that projects into the audience and allows individual note distinction has much more mids than you would find sounding good 'at home' (even when slapping).

5. I could be wrong, but when reading about my walkabout, I thought they said the mid was flat when all the way down.

Time to break out the manuel...

6. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I knew I had the smilie thing going on, wasn't really trying to hide it. The Mid is passive, so it's boost only.

I'm just messing around with settings, with my old Peavey combo I could, but it just didn't come out like it does through this.

Thanks for taking a little interest in the topic.

7. It's a great little powerhouse, isn't it? It's about as 'tubey' as a hybrid is going to get. Enjoy!

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Try playing around with the Gain and Master levels with everything else set straight up (and I am not convinced that there is any "flat" setting for the Mids, but noon is as good a place to start as any, IMHO). For a more clean tone, crank the Master all the way up (or close to it) and keep the Gain as low as possible. For more warmth, and eventually overdrive, start turning up the Gain (and keep turning down the Master).

Good luck! The Walkabout is a midrange tone monster, and there is a lot of ground to cover, tonally.

Tom.

9. I agree with Tom on that... technically, since it's a passive mid, all the way up would be 'flat', but that tone signature would be totally unusable. I also varied the mids slightly to the right or left of 12o'clock 99% of the time. Tom is also correct with the gain control. As someone who has been using transistor and hybrid heads for many years (i.e., haven't used a full tube head since a short V4B stint in the 70's), I was blown away by the 'tube' impact of that gain control.... totally different sonic signatures as you vary that control.... that can be great... or very frustrating(!) depending on what kind of sound you are after. The Mesa Hybrids behave much more like 100% tube heads than any hybrid I've ever played.

10. This is from the Walkabout manual:

I know SMASH knows his stuff, and that from what Ive ever seen, a passive control is cut only. So why does Mesa claim its a passive bost only control?

11. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Thanks for the responses. I knew passive was cut only, but that's how it was stated in the manual

As for the whole passive not boosting thing, and I know it's been posted elsewhere. Villex pick ups.

12. Ah, thank you very much. That had me a bit confused. Guess that Mesa's the one thats a bit confused.