Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout vs. Ashdown ABM (opinions wanted)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Mar 3, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Anybody got any comparisons to offer, gripes to list, or shameless plugs? Are they too similiar to matter?

Also, with the MAG series now running just $299 (made in china), what do you think about slapping a nice tube pedal/preamp in front and saving a couple hundred bucks?

FWIW, my current tone preferences run from hammond organ style sub-mud to vintage-copping Saadiq or Kravitz with a little salsa/reggae dub and p-bass mid-cut thrown in here and there. In other words, thick and not too broad.

2. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I currently have both (the ABM is a 300). The Ashdown seems to be a little more Old School British, while the W'bout seems to be more Modern School West Coast. The Ashdown doesn't have a bad tone in it. The W'bout has powerful EQ that be too much. The Ashdown's subharmonic synth is cool, esp in small amounts. The Ashdown has twin-topology, a tube preamp and a Class A FET preamp, with a blend control. The Ashdown has two fans (iirc) and they are dead quiet. The Ashdown meter is very useful. The W'bout has a noisy fan. The Ashdown has 275W@8 and 420W@4. The W'bout has about 300W@4.

I like the MAG series since I like the FET preamp sound (the MAGs don't have tubes), don't need the meter, and don't use the subsynth that much. Other than that they are very close in design and construction (and tone).

For dub and reggae, I would be wary about the W'bout, as I don't think it has enough power for all-day Family-Man P-bass. The ABM 500 might be a better choice.

Nightbass

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Nightbass, sounds like you prefer the Ashdown. Do you have any experience with the M-Pulse amps? I guess that would be a more direct comparison since they have the blendable/switchable preamps. Also, how would you, or anyone else, compare Mesa or Ashdown to Ampegs (the tone I'm most familiar with)?

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive played the m-pulse 360 a bunch of times, but i dont own one. i will that it is one hell of an amp. mean sound, lots of power. ill agree with nightbass, the eq can be a bit much. there is so much going on and a lot of sounds you can get. and yea it is more new sounding westcoast rock band kind of thing.

ashdown is mean oldschool. i have an abm 900 and its a beast. i think its got more power than the mesa's and the tone options are probably much more open. that is to say you can get a lot out of the abm's. im still tweaking mine, and ive had it a while. the sub-harmonics is a cool feature BUT only in small amounts. its also a low end machine. IMO getting a good crisp highend out of the amp. and you can get a mean fuzz out of it. which is a plus if your into oldschool stuff like cream.