Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WalkAbout -Vs- WT/300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tumbao, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Mesa Boogie WalkAbout

29 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. Eden WT-300

24 vote(s)
    45.3%
  1. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Eden Vs Mesa Boogie

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Euphonic Audio iAMP 600 or 800.

Cleanest amp I've ever played. I love mine :)

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Is the iamp-800 ever coming out? And where's that Wizzy 12" cab?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Depends. Do you want a bass amp built by a company known for its guitar amps, or one built by a company known for its bass amps?

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice try but everyone knows that Edens are the Hoovers of the bass world.

Why, just the other day I tried to put a WT400 in a beggar's cup and he said, "No thank you, sir. I'd like something with a little more clarity. You wouldn't happen to have an EA on you, would you?" I told him I was keeping the iAmp600, of course.

Face it, dude: Edens are as passe as a Hollywood coke party. Time to move on. The hoola-hoop didn't last, either. Fads never do. ;)

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I dunno. When you try them both out, which sounds better to your ears? I could care less what a company is known for.

I tried the Eden out, and thought it sounded like ass. The Walkabout, however, sounded great to me. So, I bought one.

Isn't personal preference a great thing?

7. mmm.. Mesa!

I must be really annoying you people now.. GO MESA!!

I should add this into my sig.. :p

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    IMO, the WT300 is one of the most over-rated amps out there. I've seen a few in action, and they always seemed underpowered, got to try one at the practice space (another player bought one as an upgrade to an old all tube Bassman head) and sho nuff, the thing's got no balls. The bassman didn't quite have as good a tone at low volume but once a drummer got involved, the Bassman kept it together. The WT300 was fart city. The WT800 is a different story as long as you like that tone. Frankly, I think Eden's built in voicing is as bad a powersuck as Ampeg's voicing so 300W just doesn't cut it.

I like the Mesa 400+. I tried the Walkabout at a store and didn't hate it but then again, it didn't make me want to get it.

9. I live within a 2 hour drive of Montrose Minnesota, Eden has (to me) a great reputation for bass amps, I know and respect the opinions of several players who use Eden, but when I compared them head-to-head the Mesa WalkAbout had more power, a MUCH larger pallate of tones, and you could dial in a really nice tube grind. I bought the WalkAbout and have never regretted it for a moment.

However, there is a certain "Eden" sound/feel/something that makes it a great amp... either the Eden or the Mesa are good choices.

So how does the new mini Ampeg sound?

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Clean transparent sounding amps arent for everyone.

I hardly believe that they are what the guy asking about Eden and Mesa Boogie is looking for.

To me, they are both similar, but I think because of power issues my vote definetly goes to the Walkabout.

Peace
    Nick

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Eden may be the Hoover, but Mesa is the Rogue of the bass world. One local store has a B-2000 that's been sitting there for over four years. I was highly attracted to it for the neat arrangement of all the knobs and switches on it, but it sounded like a Yorkville to me. Ish.

12. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    No Munji, Rogue is the Rogue of the bass world. I mean c'mon if were going to get all hissy about it, how come Eden can't put out a decent all tube bass head?

So you didn't like the B-2000. That's why the Walkabout gets your thumbs down? :rolleyes:

13. Ya just gotta like this Tumbao guy... I mean isn't that what it's all about? To hate all Edens because they were "a fad" is rediculous, but so is hating the WalkAbout because you didn't like the B-2000. ;)

Now I'm gonna stay nice... but I'd appreciate it if you didn't insult me by saying that my amp was the quality of a Rogue. You're all better than that... :mad:

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It's ridiculous. With an "i." And what's beyond ridiculous is to take every post, no matter how absurd, as gospel fact. Reality check: learn to identify bs. It'll cause you less stress.

15. You're right boogie... and I should learn to spell! :D

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Who wants one anyway? They weigh a ton and sound like crap. Look at Ampeg.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    And I don't "hate" any amplifier. Mesa is not known for making particularly good bass amps, regardless of my feelings.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    ...so what happened was: I couldn't sell that Eden junk to save my soul. Apparently, nobody with any brains uses it anymore 'cause, you know, Eden SUCKS!

So I decided to set the cabs and amp out on the curb in hopes that the trash truck would at least haul it off. Well, guess what? They wouldn't take it! The main trash dude told me, "Let us know if you decide to pitch anything decent but you can keep that Eden garbage."

Man. What a bummer. Just goes to show you: Eden stuff really blows.

Guess I'll just have to make a trip to the city dump myself and pitch that worthless, toneless Eden trash. A real pain, I tell ya....

19. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    boogiebass - the same thing happened to me!!

because the dump was too far away to drive to, i just figured i'd burn my xlt 410.

the freakin' thing won't even burn!

gas is scared of it! it rolled off the cab and turned into some kind of gas jelly....

20. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Now I for one cannot understand our fellow TB people ever disagreeing! :)D )
    Anyway-
    Eden no longer makes the 300, right? It's now te 400, fwiw.
    Eden also does have an all-tube amp, the V-300 I believe, and it looks real good to me.
    As much as Munji is a provacateur, I played Eden as backline a few days ago, & I gotta say it ROCKS!

But....
    I owned a WalkAbout, & it was SUPREME!
    The only thing that saves me from deep depression over not having it no mo' is the fact that I got a MESA Buster 2x10 in the mix, w/ a Diesel 15,
    and you shall not hear much finer bass sound reproduced no way,no how.
    Tumbao-
    Eden-Good
    MESA- THE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION SOUND OF THE BASS GUITAR WORRRRRLD!!!
    Just my humble opinion.