Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout.... What to Look

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lawndart, May 6, 2004.

1. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I need help quick guys/gals. In a couple of hours Im going to a shop that has a Walkabout for 699 thats been traded in. They are going to give me 250 for my Ampeg B2r. What should i look for when insepecting this amp besides the usual dents/scratches. Of course im bringing my bass to try it out. They have some Aguilar Gs112s there...

Thanks for the help.

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    well i'd check all the knobs and jacks and everything, make sure none of them short out, are scratchy or just don't work. you might want to see if they'll open it up so you can check the tube and look for any obvious work done inside. and then just play through it a lot and decide. and don't forget to try it in 8 and 4 ohm loads to make sure it can do both of them no problem. :bassist:

3. Couldn't agree with you more, Fred;

Check all inputs, instrument inputs especially.

Some early Walkabout models had a flaw there, including mine. Mesa was so kind and fixed it easily, but be diligent, and try to cool your excitement.

All in all it'a a hell of an amp.

:bassist:

4. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    well i tried it out with my bass running a Aguilar gs112...sounds so so sweet. I heard no problems such as scratching or loose knobs. I bought it.
    I was also able to play a Lakland Hollowbody out of the rig and it was truely amazing..... Xmas is only what....7 months away.

5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    great- i hope that it works out for you and you have it for a long (and trouble free) time

Gotta' love GAS... there's ALWAYS something new to get