Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Any thoughts on the Mesa Boogie Walkabout? How does it sound, what is its build quality, etc. etc. Does anyone own one... or has anyone at least tried one?

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Yeh, have one- posted about it here too.
    Also reviewed it on BassGear reviews-
    I think it is a superb head- Mesa M-Pulse should be considered up there with all the "leaders'- Eden, SWR, etc.
    I was seeking a small head for a very portable rig,
    which, ahem, if I may say I've executed an extraordinary concept!:D (WalkAbout/Flite 112MB).
    Total weight both pieces, about 40 lbs.
    Sound: That's the thing-
    (2) 12AX7 preamp tubes, 250 "Mesa" watts fet
    power= plenty of headroom, more than adequate cutting volume.
    EQ is well done, to the point- active bass/treble
    & passive mid augmented by a three-band parametric eq with well-placed sweeping and Q-points between 30hz and 12khz- Great full round tone, sweep the mids and you're playing upright or nice chunky bass, OR you can slap out some very
    sharp trebles- With a good active bass- Watch Out!
    The head also matches real well with a Hartke XL
    Cab, and I've played it through Aguilars, EBS, and
    SWR's all with great tone.
    I bought it to use with a jazz trio(guitar/bass/drums) backing a vocalist in smaller rooms; had a cool gig bag made for the head.
    Most fun was when I decided to use this same rig w/ a R&B septet, including 3-piece horn section &
    female singer that sings with some real bal$$-
    When I began to set up, they said "Uh, where's your
    rig?" Then- "You gonna use THAT?"
    To which I replied: "Say listen, non-bass players,
    just 'cause you've grown accustomed to an SVT in the rhythm section, let's join the 21st Century-
    Now listen to this."...
    I like this head alot!
    :cool:

3. Sounds good... you don't have to get into specifics, but what's one go for? Can you "arm-wrestle" over prices or are they fixed like IE or Carvin?

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    No secrets here!
    Mesa is rock-solid with their pricing-
    I bought mine at the Mesa store here in Hollywood
    for $799-
    They will be exactly the same elsewhere!
    BTW- if you're interested, Mesa is coming out soon with these heads in a combo configuration-

I personally like the Mesa cabs, don't know if WalkAbout will be included (probably will), maybe
    just the 360 / 600. These will probably be yet
    ANOTHER good product on the market.

Hoped "infomercial" helps, play one w/ your Bass
    & choice of cab & see!;)

5. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Mesa stuff is "fixed" pricing as part of Mesa's dealership policies. I believe the Walkabout goes for about $800 (dealers can charge more if they'd like, but that's about the lowest they can go...).

You may be able to find a used one or look for a used Eden WT-400 as it's basically the same size. The Mesa does have a really nice tone, but I'd just like to get more (power, tuner out...) for $800.

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    BTW:
    I had considered WT-400, I-Amp, Clarus,& Walter Woods- all good stuff.
    It's all subjective, I thought that the Mesa had a "rounder" fuller tone than the others, I like the
    Mesa pre-amp circuit a lot- the (2) pre-amp tubes warm & phatten the tone-
    Volume wise, I could not see a problem, as I mentioned, I was right thru the mix in a R&B horn
    band! Plus, the W/A has a DI w/its own gain
    on the panel for when you sell the first zillion records and open for ?? Green Day? Korn??
    Linkin Park?? Miroslau Vitous?? Mariah Carey??
    Whateveh!:D

7. I ordered my Walkabout today... along with my Aguilar GS112 it should make a really sweet sounding tiny rig.

I'll let you all know how it sounds with my fretless 5 string as soon as I get it! :D

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    :eek: :D

Exxxxcellent!!

You ARE gonna dig it, fo' sho'

mmmmmm:
    Mesa WalkAbout w/ Aguilar 1x12
    Really- that is gonna be a bad-a$$ sounding unit,
    & not too heavy to drag around!
    Congrats, Mon!
    Have Fun, I know you're gonna be liking it!
    :)