Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by parrott, Dec 31, 2001.

1. does anybody know of any websites out there that would help me learn how to play walking bass?

(i'm just about to be dragged into a jazz band, but i don't know how to walk yet, and i want to be spared any embarassment - please help me!)

thank you to everbody who does.
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well... its not that hard.. YOu start by placing one foot in front of the other. its alot like running :)... just kidding.. www.visionmusic.com is a neat site. it has tracks to play along with and what not. give it a looking into
  3. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Actually learning to play walking is not something you do overnight, it takes lots of practice and knownledge to be able to properly walk over jazz tunes. First of you should probably listen to the stuff you are suppose to be playing and get a transcription of it (at least the changes and melody, and bass if you can) and play through it.
    If you arent very good with standard notation or scales/chords you should probably take care of that first before you process to the actual walking.

Good luck,
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    You should try and scrape up the $20 it costs and buy Ed Friedlands, Building Walking Basslines, method book.

It has everything you need to know about how to create a funtional walking line. I agree with what lovebown said, you wont be able to create a good line over night, and learning how to do it properly will take time. Ive had the book for quite awhile now and still am not proficient at walking, the more you put into learning it, the more you will definatly get out of it. Speaking of which i think ill put more time into mine again. thanks for the reminder :D
  5. what is the ISBN number for that book?

i'm located in Scotland, so i'll probably have to put a special order in somewhere.
  6. it's alright, i don't need the ISBN number - james thins are better than i thought.

i'll go ahead, and order it through them - thanks for your help.

(and it seems like i'm getting a good deal - they've got it in for just under $15.)
  7. tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Hmm, actually it's very easy. You only need to know the Major & Minor Scales and play it a long the chord of the songs.

To master it, now that's take time. You need to hear a lot of mainstream music to get the "feel".
    PS : Until now, I dont recall myself a master in "walking".
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Yeah, you are getting a very good deal on the book if your paying a bit less than $15 for it. I paid $20 for mine over a year ago.

You wont regret buying this book. All the aural examples on the cd are jazz flavor, What I like most about the book, is the way he gives you the theory to make the lines, but makes you create your own lines bassed on the chord changes he gives you. And thats probably just what youll be asked to do when you join this jazz band. Be given the pattern/changes and have to come up with your own line on the fly.

9. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Wheat's bassbook has a decent section about building walking lines that might come in useful.
  10. Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Great links! Thanks for posting them
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I can see there might be some attempt at irony here ... but the first part of this post is just plain wrong!! If you play a major scale with a natural 7th over a dominant 7th chord it's just going to sound wrong. If you just play a scale, with no sense of how the chords are moving/resolving, it will not sound like a Walking line.
  12. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Um, you need to know more than just major and minor scales for walking bass lines. First of all, over some chord progressions (which are probably covered in the books mentioned before; I don't know off the top of my head), you can use melodic or harmonic scales, or even modes. Also, if the song itself is in the key of a harmonic or melodic scale, some notes will just sound horrible if you just try to use major or minor scales.
    Another cool source of information on this subject is John Goldsby's column in Bass Player Magazine.
  13. is that magazine available in Britain?

i've just never seen it here.

and i can't get to Wheats' Bassbook from the school computers, which is where i get most of my net time.

but i'll try it nows' i'm home.
  14. Poparad

Jan 18, 2002
    Ed Friedland has a follow up book to "Building Walking Basslines" titled "Expanding Walking Basslines" if you guys have gotten through the first one which I have found very helpfull in learning that art.
  15. Congrats on your success. What really helped me was to KNOW the notes on each chord, not just the root and fifth. Once you know the 7 notes of the chord, try finding mutual notes to the chord you are going to. Pretty soon you'll see a "path" to frequently visited chords and be able to make your own paths to and from chords you recognize. Before long you will be asking others about their "paths" which will develope into deeper theory discussions.

Please know that "theory" is not rocket science. It is based in math and it's basics can be learned by a child. DO NOT be intimidated in any way by it's name or history.
  16. Poparad

Jan 18, 2002
    Yes I totally agree... I knew my chords before I attemted walking, I just wasn't sure which tones were supposed to be used. I guess I was just trying too hard. :) This 'paths' idea you mentioned sounds really cool. It's an idea I haven't really thought about yet.