1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walking away from song for a bit improves learning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by threshar, Jun 18, 2007.

1. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    This happens to me a lot on more difficult pieces.. I'll be sitting there working it out and getting sort of close, but completely missing a few parts. Then I give up. Then maybe a few days (or in some cases, a couple weeks later) I go back to and and BAM, first try nail it all (including the parts I hadn't quite figured out yet).

Ever happen to you guys?

sort of related, but not really, I remember a long long time ago when I was first starting bass I was struggling to play the bosstones' someday I suppose. The other day I was on a kick of playing old tunes and that one came up. It was so simple. Gotta love it when you realize how much you've improved.

2. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Happens all the time to me. It seems my brain works best when it's not working at all :)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Actually it may work best when you're not holding a bass.
    :D

For pieces I'm learning by listening, I've found that if I truly get it in my head first, getting it to my hands becomes much easier.

4. I have this problem also.

I have another problem that I refer to as TMPS, which is Too Much Practice Syndrome. I don't know if this happens to you guys, but I'll practice a part, and at first I don't get it, then I start to get it, and then after about an hour, I finally have it fluidly, and then I get so excited that I keep playing it, and ten minutes later it sounds like complete crap. I'll come back to it the next day, and it's all better...

5. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Yep, sometimes i suffer from TMPS. I think it sort of goes hand in hand with my needing to walk away problem.

When I first started learning bass I'd get something going and go "holy smokes! I'm playing it' and while thinking that, completely mess it up and not be able to get it back :)

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I wouldn't think of it as a problem at all. Realize that the mind processes all kinds of things on a subconscious level of which the conscious mind may never be aware - until the results "suddenly" start to appear...

Works that way with lots of things - but especially with creative endeavors. Many professional writers, actors and musicians have successfully incorporated this into their creative process as a productivity technique for helping them create more and better works of art (i.e. The Artist's Way)...

MM

7. southpaw76

southpaw76

Feb 20, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Same here,
    I can't tell you how many times I'll be chipping away at a phrase or part of a song and it isn't until I walk away from it for a while that it becomes more fluid :confused: .....

8. CrazyWallaWalla

CrazyWallaWalla

Aug 16, 2006
    Toronto
    yea me 2

9. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    I make a point of chipping away at tricky bass lines and only spend around 20 mins playing it slow then to as fast as I can get it using a metronome until after a few days its nailed. I have to do it because of limited practice time and frustration because I've become impacient in my old age. Works for me anyhow.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I don't really get this.
    But I know what you're talking about. I don't think you need to take a whole day or week off of playing it.. Give it 5 to 10 minutes and you'll most likely notice a change

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021