Walking bass beginner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Apr 24, 2002.

1. I just got a book called "The art of Walking bass" by one Bob Magnusson. I've been meaning to check out one of those books for some time, as I've always thought walking lines are very neat.

I just played over the first two exercises in it, and man, is it going to require some effort. First off, I'll have to brush up big time on my reading. (It has TaBz in it, but I don't want to use them). Second, those lines are hard. At least for someone raised on rock (root-octave-root-fifth-etc.).

I figure it'll be enough to keep me motivated for a long time. :) I was beginning to be a little bored with playing nothing all the time. Plus that it was my mom that gave it to me, so that means my parents are beginning to notice I play bass. Now, how to convince them that I really need a Rick... :D

[Dude voice on]

Man, jazz is like, hard. I'm gonna check out that punk-pop thing.

[Dude voice off]

2. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    I'll have to check that one out. The one I have is Building Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland. It's cool. It comes with a CD to play along to pre-recorded bass tracks, but also has tracks with no bass where you have to make up your own lines. There is an advanced one too, but I haven't gotten that one yet.

I use this book/CD all the time, because I think walking bass lines are very important (Not to mention fun.) :)
  3. I was going to get that one, but the store couldn't get it for me. The one I have also has a cd, and the bass is in one channel, the drums and the other instruments in the other, so you can make up your own lines to go with the existing tracks. Pretty neat.
  4. [dude voice2 on]

dude, pop punk is so boring man

[dudevoice2 off]