Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walking bass blues

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LAW, Aug 1, 2005.

1. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    Hello all,
    Can anyone suggest a good qalking blues instructional book or video.
    I am just getting into walking after being a "riffer" for a while. right now I play more in the style of Chris Squier ( not talent wise just style wise). But I would like to expand my horizons into something like Berry Oakley ( Allman Brothers) style. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
  3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Was Berry the Allman Bros' bassist in the late 60s/early 70s? I've been working on some songs from this era and I think the bassist is great! I've been working on their version of Stormy Monday blues and some other songs from their Atlanta and Fillmore concerts.

You could always start by transcribing his works. Figure out the chords, then figure out what the bass is playing over those chords. If you already understand blues forms and basic walks over those forms, studying these songs should allow you to add more tools to your toolbox.

If you need to work on basic walking first, then you'd probably want to start with Ed Friedland's Building Walking Bass Lines book.

4. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    Berry was the first bassist for the Allman Brothers. He died about a year after Duane in a motorcycle accident (the band was cursed apparently). He was the one who brought dickey Betts into the band. When Oakley died he was replaced by Lamar Williams.
    The bass you hear on Fillmore is Oakley. After 1972, it was all Lamar Williams.
    Ive only been playing for 3 months, so I don't really have the knowledge of walking blues. Interestingly enough, I ordered Friedlands book two days ago right after posting the original message.
    Thanks for the help.