1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walking bass in bebop and jazz in general

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Kitschead, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Hi I'm 16 years old and I'm a relatively new player. I've been playing double bass for almost a year and I played bass guitar before that. I just really need help with my walking bass lines. Whenever I try to play a walking bebop line I just seem to go up and down a chromatic scale and it doesn't sound too good. It seems that i'm either doing just a basic 1-3-5 thing or playing up and down chromatically. Is there something I should be doing to improve? Help would be appreciated.

2. brivello

brivello

Jun 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Getting lessons from a professional would be your best bet. If that's not available, go on amazon and find some "how to books," there are plenty of them out there.

It really just comes down to how much time you are willing to put into practicing. Play at slower tempos with a metronome, transcribe walking basslines that you like ect.

good luck.

3. Yeah I'm getting lessons from a pretty excellent teacher so I guess it might just be something that comes with time. Thanks a lot.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    There's a basic primer here, and many wonderful books on the subject out there. Transcribing lines you think sound good from recordings is really the way to go.

5. 1. The Evolving Bassist by Rufus Reid

eventually you'll also want a copy of Modern Walking Bass Technique by Mike Richmond.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What, no love for BigEgoHead's book?

7. I haven't seen it my man. Send me a copy to check out so I can talk it up. Congrats on getting published.