1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walking Bass lessons On Youtube

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by davemarks, May 29, 2007.

1. davemarks

davemarks

Apr 30, 2007
    London, England
    Endorsing Artist: EBS
    Hey guys and girls,

I've just posted the 4th video in my series on constructing walking basslines.

www.youtube.com/davemarks

Feel free to pop along, have a look, leave a comment, subscribe, all of the above or none of the above, in whichever order or sequence you find most pleasing...

Dave

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Dave, thanks. I just checked your first (improved) lesson and it looks like a good place to begin. My daughter's boyfriend would really benefit by working with these, and I've already been reminded of some valuable points.

One thing that took me a second was to realize why you use the hand positions you do - it might be worthwhile to mention that the starting hand position on the neck is based on where you need to finger the sequence of notes throughout the chord.

I will admit that I'm an habitual open string player and move around more than I need to, so I don't always think about the fourth or fifth note ahead of me.

3. davemarks

davemarks

Apr 30, 2007
    London, England
    Hey Pilgrim - Thanks for that - good Idea - I've posted a comment and will add a video lesson to cover the subject of playing in position...

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Good idea. I learned on upright bass playing orchestral music, so I'm highly oriented to starting in first position and only deviating from that when the music requires it. (And I still think that's the most logical place to start.) Many beginning players have no idea why or where they should locate their left hand.

5. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Great stuff dave. Thanks.

6. davemarks

davemarks

Apr 30, 2007
    London, England
  7. Thanks, Dave, not only for the videos but all the great information on your website. It's much appreciated!

Paul Mac

8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Great walking bass lessons Dave. I've been looking for a site that deals with this in stages, and yours fits the bill perfectly. Keep up the good work. :)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021