1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Walking Bass Line/Audition

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by NickBassMan, Aug 22, 2012.

1. NickBassMan

NickBassMan

Aug 22, 2012
    In about two weeks when school start I will be trying out for my schools stage band. I've been informed that for part of it the teacher will give me different chord and I have to make a walking bass line out of them... This scares the crap out of me because I really don't know how to do this or how to practice. Also do you guys have any other tips for the audition like what to practice and such? Thanks a bunch.

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    First things first - do you know how to spell chords? That is, say what notes are in a chord from its symbol, like Dmaj7 = D, F#, A, C#.

Ed Friedland's book is widely recommended here as a good guide for this. You could actually learn a hell of a lot in two weeks if you get going and study well. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Walking-Bass-Lines-Friedland/dp/0793542049#_

EDIT - looks like Dinosaur Punk posted while I was adding this link. You'll likely see a few more people recommending Ed's book here in the GI forum if you search on this topic.

3. UpperBout

UpperBout Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Near Chicago Illinois USA
    Endorsing Artist: DNA (David Nordschow Amplification)
    Check out Ed Friedland's "Building Walking Bass-Lines"

The books teaches you how to do exactly what you described your audition being. It comes with sound files and describes how exactly one goes about Building Walking Bass-Lines.

I've far from mastered this technique, but Ed's book got me farther than rote memorization and or copying other player's lines. I still have a long way to go, but the knowledge in that book has helped me feel prepared for more musical situations than I used to.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Folks have had some nice things to say about this and that.

5. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I took up bass about a year ago to specifically learn to play walking bass.
    What you can come up with in two weeks by necessity will be pretty simple. The flow and connection of chords and lines takes a while. If you get the position, I can pretty much guarantee you will progress signficantly over the year.

But you have to start out simple, you can do this with Friedland's or Fuqua's book, but for that time constraint and simple approach I'd recommend Todd Johnson's Book/DVD
    Volume 1 and 2 asap

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7798997 1 and 2

a lot would depend on how comfortable you are with bass -- if you consider yourself 'intermediate' level -- knowldege of fretboard and fingering, you can pick up a lot from both Ed F.s' books in a couple of weeks. If closer to beginner than intermediate,
    T. Johnson will establish a workable walking approach. It won't be fancy but you won't find yourself not knowing what to do or get into a fingering mess.
    good luck

6. NickBassMan

NickBassMan

Aug 22, 2012
    I'd classify myself as a more of an intermediate player as I'm comfortable with the fretboard so I decided to go get the book. Thanks for all the input.